Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New animal mod, but real bug....  (Read 972 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New animal mod, but real bug....
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:40:00 am »

I was just told that, swan has given birth to cygnets.

How ever i down have no tamed swans, they are wild animals living around my area.

So im assuming this is a bug. Or it could be a bug with the mod im using.

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New animal mod, but real bug....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:06:00 am »

Not bug, lack of feature. No creatures can make nests and lay eggs yet.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

wild animals give birth, and have since the 2d version. the female just have to be on the map for 2 months or more before it happens.

seems to occur more with amphibious animals, who go into the ponds and then don't bother to get out, or cant after it dries up. hippos do the same thing, filling the pond pits with swarms of death

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Chariot ]

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 03:16:00 am »

I'm not sure what the bug is here.

If it's that you're getting announcements for animals you don't technically own.. that might be worth looking at.

If it's swan vs cygnet.. it's probably a case of a BABYNAME token in its creature entry.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 06:43:00 am »

The bug is that its telling me about births on the map that its not suppose to be.

Why do i care if the swans or hippos are having baby's, i don't, there not my animals, theres no reason to alert me to there actions.

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

I found to be of great interest and personal terror when the hippos had calves.  Go ahead and see if you can milk one.
igless

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

It's not a bug.  Perhaps something to be modified later, in the final stages, but for now it is actually a good thing.  No, you don't care, but I do not hold your apathy.  But someone that wants to be told immediately whether their creatures are doing the right things would like it.  If it fails, and they never reproduce, then I should go look at the tags I added.  It just shows that there isn't code to differentiate what messages like these should go to the player and which should not.  Thus you will know when any creature on your map at all gives birth, and when a youth becomes a grown up.

I use it because I modified fire imps to give birth.  I like fire imps.  I like a constant stream of them.  But they are otherwise limited in supply... The side effect of this is that it will tell me when they reproduce, so I can tell I have magma long before I find it.  I have been thinking of doing this to various chasm and underwater river creatures, because currently I have the problem of their populations dieing out almost completely (and in one case, completely) before I even find the river or chasm.  It will tell me long before I reach these spots whether or not my creatures are reproducing successfully.  If I want to monitor populations, I can do so, even without knowing how many there are, estimating by number of births, and timing of growing up.

So no... Not a bug.

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]