Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Horrific-looking lake/cave systems  (Read 2669 times)

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horrific-looking lake/cave systems
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 10:28:48 pm »

Heh, I'm afraid I don't exactly know how to do that. Is there perhaps a good tutorial on worldgen to be found? Or, more specifically, how valid are the 40d worldgen tutorials on the Wiki for 2010?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 10:49:39 pm »

Look up Perfect World in modding, gives you a lot more control than the in-game advanced generation.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 03:29:22 am »

Heh, I'm afraid I don't exactly know how to do that. Is there perhaps a good tutorial on worldgen to be found? Or, more specifically, how valid are the 40d worldgen tutorials on the Wiki for 2010?

Oh, sorry.

Are you familiar with how to export World Gen information and use it in Advanced World Gen?

If you are, skip the spoiler. If not:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now. Go into Advanced World Generation and move down to the bottom entry. This should be the information you just posted. Hit 'e'. Now, scroll through the data until you reach the cavern settings.

The ones we're interested in here are:

[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]

and

[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100].

The first controls the size of individual caverns while the latter controls how many different sections the cavern has.

To guarantee large caverns, set [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN] to a fairly high number, such as anything within the 90-100 range. Leave MAX at 100.

Then you have two options on the latter and still get fairly large caverns. If you want an absolutely massive cavern system, then set [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN] to 90-100 as well. Again, leave MAX at 100. This creates so many passage ways that they all combine together in one big cave. The upside is that you can often wind up with one cave that plunges across all three cavern levels at once. The downside is that you can often wind up with one cave that plunges across all three cavern levels at once. This is really hard to defend as there are far less natural chokepoints to build walls and set up traps and there are third cavern level creatures that will end a young fort very, very quickly.

The other option is to set [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX] to a really low number. Say, 0-10. This time leave MIN at 0. This will create a lot of large passages with narrow connecting tunnels, which is probably better if you're still learning the military and the game in general. I think the caverns look better this way myself as well, but your mileage may vary.
Pages: 1 [2]