Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collecting webs is a nightmare now  (Read 1647 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Collecting webs is a nightmare now
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »

I'm on a map with a large circular chasm (a large pit, really), which looks pretty cool. However it opens up on the outside, and there are a lot of webs spawning nearby.

In the old version it was relatively easy to prevent dwarves from harvesting webs in dangerous areas by blocking them with locked doors: you could control access to the cave river and chasm pretty well; but the problem now is I can't prevent all dwarves from going outside because I have woodcutters and fisherdwarves. Therefore my web collectors go very far to get webs and all get killed by giant birds.

We need a web collecting activity zone, just like for fishing, and fast! Otherwise this activity has just become useless and suicidal.

Beyond that, a "border" for your fortress, or a general activity zone that dwarves can't leave without special permission would be such a help. Or if you prefer something more organic, what about dwarves being afraid of leaving the safety of the fort until they are very strong and experienced? Especially if it's just to pick up a mitten. They might show more courage if the goal is to recover the body of a fallen friend. Word of mouth should create (imaginary or real) danger zones that dwarves avoid.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting webs is a nightmare now
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

You can't select where they would go to collect the webs, but you can prevent them to go in the dangerous areas with the forbid designation.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

No you can't.  Forbid just means "If you're going somewhere else, then don't walk through this area".  There is no way of saying "Don't go IN here in the first place".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>You can't select where they would go to collect the webs, but you can prevent them to go in the dangerous areas with the forbid designation.</STRONG>

As above, it costs them "25 Pathing Points" to move through a Forbidden square, as opposed to "2 Pathing Points" for normal, undesignated areas.  They'll go there to pick up mittens, or build a wall (thus walling themsleves in), or whatnot.

Also, excessive use of Forbidden/Restricted areas cause pathing slowdowns.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

I am talking about the designation forbid itens/buildings You select the webs in dangerous areas and the dwarf won't go there. He would pass there to get in another area though.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:25:00 am »

Also important, I think cave spiders should stay inside -- some sort of tag to be added to the raws for this purpose.  This would significantly help cut down on the amount of wandering they do on the surface, thus making it much easier for people to collect their webs by actually digging down to the chasm.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

In the meanwhile you can just tell your dwarves to not collect webs automatically.  Its in the options menu under workshop orders.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>I am talking about the designation forbid itens/buildings You select the webs in dangerous areas and the dwarf won't go there. He would pass there to get in another area though.</STRONG>

New webs keep spawning on different levels, it's hard to keep track of them all. The map I'm playing on has a very complex layout.
Is there a tool for mass forbidding objects that I have missed? Right now the only way I know is to forbid them one by one.

Apart from that cave spider behavior seems ok, they mainly stay around the opening of the chasm. That's not what should be fixed in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by Pacho:
<STRONG>In the meanwhile you can just tell your dwarves to not collect webs automatically.  Its in the options menu under workshop orders.</STRONG>

Thanks, I knew about that one.

[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: isitanos ]

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Also important, I think cave spiders should stay inside -- some sort of tag to be added to the raws for this purpose.  This would significantly help cut down on the amount of wandering they do on the surface, thus making it much easier for people to collect their webs by actually digging down to the chasm.</STRONG>

Why should they always stay inside? I think its pretty cool that they can be found outside also.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 05:49:00 am »

They're called cave spiders. =P
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 06:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>They're called cave spiders. =P</STRONG>

True, but just because they are living in caves, they shouldnt even go outside?   :D

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »

Here in pennsylvania, usa, we have cave crickets, and they are commonly seen outside. Tho they still prefer dark places with plenty of hiding places, like under the leaves in the woods.

And hey, they have to have SOME way of getting from one cave to another.

ho watches those that watch us???