Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spring: RTS Engine  (Read 3698 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Spring: RTS Engine
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:00:08 pm »

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but since the DFC topic has moved on, I thought I would create a topic specifically for Spring.

As the title implies, Spring is an engine for differant RTS games created by other internet users. Both the engine and the more popular mods are updated regularly. The only mod I've played so far is Balanced Annihilation, but I plan to get Complete Annihilation soon. Its also all completely free.

Heres a little snipit/guide I wrote on another forum. With a picture(its not really the best picture, and I was playing in low graphic mode, but you get the idea), so you can grasp on what graphic level you're dealing with. Its also focused around BA, but you should be able to figure out how to get the other mods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think thats it. My topics tend to die when I type too much, so I'll cut it here.

Oh, and once again, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but the original topic didnt have a guide, pictures, or really any kind of info.

Hosting
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:11:28 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spring: RTS Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:59:41 pm »

The website with the maps seems to have died, would like to ply but can't if I don't have maps. >:(
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:03:51 pm »

S'working for me. If you can't get access to it, though, the base lobby (not sure about th'downloader or TAS) allows you to download maps, p2p style. Just right click on the game's name in th'battlelist and it should pull up options for downloading the map and/or th'mod.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 04:42:50 am »

Maybe use a differant browser? Or maybe you chose a bad time, I've never seen it down.

Nevertheless, you can do what Frumple said, or when you join a battle, you get the choice to download it. If you hit yes, the download info will appear in the download tab. % and ect.  Also if you're in the battle lobby and they chance map, there should be a "download" button where the map would be. Just press that. Finely, you can do the command "!maplink" to get a link to where you will most likely be able to download it. The last one only works on public servers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:44:25 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:43:43 am »

Ok, I plan to host a game 6hr:20min from now, or  8 o' clock pm "UK Time"(If I know anything about time zones...feel free to correct me)

If I forget to host, feel free to post hate in here.

"Edit" Oh, forgot some details. Will be Bay12, password dwarf(unless only like 1 person shows up, then I'll make it public). The games will range from "training sessions"(for new players) to silly scenarios like only construction units.

"Edit2" Mod will be BA, maybe some chicken defence if it hasnt been updated in a month.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:21:09 am by Orb »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 02:10:44 pm »

Hmm, no one came, guess I am beating a dead horse.

If its not obvious, I closed the server.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 02:13:16 pm »

While I do like Spring, and have played it before, there are much better games available which I enjoy more and I tend to play those.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 12:59:51 pm »

Found something interesting spring related: http://valinoreternal.no-ip.org:10004/springstats.html

Seems to be mod/map playtime stats on the main server. Interesting numbers.
Ask not!
Ask!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 08:05:56 pm »

Found something interesting spring related: http://valinoreternal.no-ip.org:10004/springstats.html

Seems to be mod/map playtime stats on the main server. Interesting numbers.

Wow, throne was played more than DSD in the last two weeks. That suprised me.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »

Thought I would bump my own topic.

Anyway, DF and I still play(I might play a tad too much), and I'd be more than willing to set up a server if there's interest.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:14 pm »

Managed to branch out from BA yet? I'm cramped for time until next weekend, but could probably manage a few rounds of not-BA around that point. Maybe BA chickens, I guess, but I'm still kinda' tired of balanced :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 06:58:45 pm »

Managed to branch out from BA yet? I'm cramped for time until next weekend, but could probably manage a few rounds of not-BA around that point. Maybe BA chickens, I guess, but I'm still kinda' tired of balanced :-\

The thing is, is that about 90% of people play BA, so there is a lot more chance to play a game.

Also, just added a new unit.  :o

"Edit" However, I'll probably download a new mod tonight. Maybe XTA. I'll have to see what the filesize is.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 05:54:53 pm »

Ok, since there aren't any good servers up, I thought I would throw up my own.

The mod is XTA, which has more tactics game play. Units are expensive, and using them correctly can improve their worth 100 fold. There is also an RPG element with Commanders, you can use their experience with metal+energy to upgrade them.

http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2752

There's the link to download the latest XTA.

Server name will be Bay12 XTA games and I will have it up for 3 hours max.

I just realised that it was stupid for me to give no prior warning and only host for 3 hours. I'll try again another time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:14:17 pm by Orb »