Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The duck was of very little help.  (Read 1574 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The duck was of very little help.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 10:54:42 am »

Every week or so this same question comes up. What happened to that suggested sticky thread with all the colour coded, blow-by-blow notes? It would also help if detailed feedback was given on just where our standard instructions (on the wiki and the tutorials) aren't making sense. Otherwise we'll be building these checklists time and again each time this question comes up with no idea whether the checklist was helpful or not.

I really just need to know how the hell burrows work, how to get those idiots to train, how to schedule them properly, and the alert system.
Ok, so this is the "what features I want to understand" list. Could you also give a "this is my vision of what my military will be like, how do I achieve this?" list?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »

2) The default for Archers has them able to equip Shields/Bucklers, but you can't use a crossbow if they are wearing a shield, so they just bash things with the crossbow. Make sure you have your archers set to only use bucklers.

Is this portion of #2 correct?

My marksdwarves used their crossbows and they have shields equipped.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 05:50:04 pm »

Could you also give a "this is my vision of what my military will be like, how do I achieve this?" list?

I want my dwarves to be able to train and at least kill goblins without being slaughtered like rhesus monkeys in weapon traps.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 10:35:55 am »

Could you also give a "this is my vision of what my military will be like, how do I achieve this?" list?

I want my dwarves to be able to train and at least kill goblins without being slaughtered like rhesus monkeys in weapon traps.
Training:

- Set up squads (I assume you got equipment figured out)
- Make and place/build a weapon rack (or other suitable furniture)
- Define barracks from that weapon rack
- Set that barracks to 'T'rain mode for your squad(s)
- Set the alert state of your squads to Active/Training

That should get them going, possibly with a short delay while they realise they've been ordered to train. We can discuss smaller details after you get them training.

Killing goblins:

- Make sure your dwarves are armoured properly.
- That means checking their inventory to see they're actually equipping anything they've been assigned.
- If not, give them a move order inside your fort and they'll go get geared up first.
- All armour must be either bronze, steel or adamantine to be useful. Anything less and you bring risk of injury.
- Equip all dwarves in steel/bronze axes/swords. Yes there are other options, but let's keep things simple for now. Do not tell them to pick whatever they want, be specific about those axes and the allowed material they are made out of.
- When goblins come, just use move orders. Forget kill orders or defend burrow orders. They can be used, but let's keep things simple for now - move orders, aka 'station'.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:07 am »

2) The default for Archers has them able to equip Shields/Bucklers, but you can't use a crossbow if they are wearing a shield, so they just bash things with the crossbow. Make sure you have your archers set to only use bucklers.

Is this portion of #2 correct?

My marksdwarves used their crossbows and they have shields equipped.

In 40d if your Xbow dwarves had a buckler, they could hold a bunch of bolts in their off hand, but with a shield they couldn't
but now that quivers are implemented, they can equip a shield and hold the bolts in the quiver (not sure how they fire though... \_(o.O)_/ )
not sure if you have a buckler whether they still carry a stack of bolts in their off hand though
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds
Pages: 1 [2]