Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Massive lag, abandoning only option?  (Read 2295 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive lag, abandoning only option?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04:23 pm »

He probably had a bunch of animal litters. I've got a mature fort where it was down to 15 FPS--- and then I had 3 litters pop, 1 of cats, dogs, and cows each, and my FPS immediately dropped to 8. You wouldn't think 8 animals would do that but it was enough. Even caged, the FPS doesn't recover, so its off to the butcher for them--- even though my fort is stuffed with meat and whatnot. I'm hoping that once they are dead, my FPS recovers somewhat. 8 FPS is just so freaking SLOW...

I'm down to 1-3 FPS and nothing I do seems to recover it.

I am thinking of doing some science by walling off long corridors now.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive lag, abandoning only option?
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 09:17:29 pm »

My massive lag comes from the 56 goblins, 15 trolls, and other such creatures that are sieging my fortress.

I have 196 dwarves, and possibly triple that number in animals.

The invaders have no way into the fortress... and when one group leaves, another "A vile force of darkness yada yada arrives" happens again... so it's like I'll never be able to get rid of these sieges.

I have 20 dwarves, all marksdwarves, to try and combat the problem... however, since the gobbos won't go anywhere near my fort unless I open the front gate, they are all out of range (not only that, but around 10 of those gobbos are crossbow wielders).

What solutions can anyone come up with? I'm sitting at around 8 FPS... making any action take an eternity (like pulling the leaver to open/close the gate to the fort).

Also, I have been using steel bolts to kill these annoying gobbos.. they are wearing mostly iron and copper... would iron be good enough, thus saving my steel for more important things?

Shooting the gobbos might be the worst thing you can do, as it causes them to bleed all over and possibly leave their equipment, bodyparts, weapons, etc. lying around.

Magma is your best solution, as always. Just make a pool of magma where a path is made that leads into your fort. Just make it so that you can pump the magma on the bridge when necessary.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]