Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save compatibility?  (Read 714 times)

Delta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Save compatibility?
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:47 am »

Are the save games between the Windows and the Linux version compatible? Are the save games between the versions with and without graphics compatible? Is the anything special to do or keep in mind when exchanging saves with anybody else?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Save compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:11 pm »

Are the save games between the Windows and the Linux version compatible?
Dunno.  Probably.  I think people have mentioned doing it?

Are the save games between the versions with and without graphics compatible?
They are not even different versions!  Graphics is more like a config setting.  In fact, that's exactly what it is.  So yes.

Is the anything special to do or keep in mind when exchanging saves with anybody else?
Um, not really.  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:12:45 pm »

They are not even different versions!  Graphics is more like a config setting.  In fact, that's exactly what it is.  So yes.

Actually, most graphics packs re-assign tiles for quite a few of the objects in the game, so there are often more than a few raw files that get changed, so if you take a save from say, the Ironhand graphics pack and load it up in a vanilla version of the game using vanilla graphics, you will get all kind of strange things for various trees plants soil stone etc instead of the defaults.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:53 pm »

Actually, most graphics packs re-assign tiles for quite a few of the objects in the game, so there are often more than a few raw files that get changed, so if you take a save from say, the Ironhand graphics pack and load it up in a vanilla version of the game using vanilla graphics, you will get all kind of strange things for various trees plants soil stone etc instead of the defaults.

Except that the saves package the raws in them so that they'll run fine.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:36:58 pm »

Except that the saves package the raws in them so that they'll run fine.
Ah, the idea here is: if you give your save with raws included to a guy who isn't using the graphics, then the tiles will look funny.  He might want to replace them with normal raws, if he wanted to play without the graphical tileset (but only if you hadn't changed something else in the raws / are not using a mod).  Changing purely aesthetic stuff in the raws is totally safe and won't break your game, and changing -some- gameplay stuff is okay, but some changes are not so good.  So keep that in mind.

Complicated!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:02:01 am »

I have successfully transferred saved games from a windows box to a linux box without any problems.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.