Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flooding bug?  (Read 824 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Flooding bug?
« on: September 24, 2010, 09:20:13 am »

Okay, so I built my fort under an ocean. After getting all the important bits set up and running smoothly, I decided, "I need a waterfall in my main hall!" I dug a tube through my main hall down to the first cavern, put a floor grate on it, and then built an upramp into the ceiling right under the ocean. I saved right before just in case of massive flood. However, it worked perfectly; the water flowed straight down from the ocean, landing in the cavern, and created tons of mist. I continued to play for a few more seasons with no flooding, then saved the game and went to bed.

I load up my game in the morning, and immediately notice that there is water splashed all around the edges of each of the channeled holes near my waterfall, and spreading quickly. The ocean, which had been a big huge swirling mass of 5's, 6's, and 7's had become a solid mass of 7's again.

I'm maybe 95% sure I had no flooding before I saved last night. I'm pretty much 100% sure the ocean was only getting MORE drained as well, not less drained over time. And yet I reload to find it completely refilled and flooding.

Is this a known bug that infinite water sources instantly refill upon reloads? It is yet to be apparent to me whether this sudden, massive influx or water will really flood my fortress or not - it's slowly filling up my dining room, but only very, very slowly - but regardless of whether or not it'll spell the end of my fortress it's going to make it very messy, which is just sort of annoying.

Of course, this could all have been avoided had I built in a stop-gap measure in case of floods. But that's sort of beside the point. The point being, is this a real bug?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding bug?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:36:48 am »

Only one floor grate?  Water doesn't always fall straight down, it falls to one of the nine tiles below it.  You should have a 3x3 square set up for water to fall on.  I like going with a statue in the center and grates surrounding that.  (grates can't support other grates)
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Flooding bug?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 09:40:27 am »

Water doesn't always fall straight down, it falls to one of the nine tiles below it.

Wrong - water only falls straight down, but if it cannot fall down any further (i.e. the drainage passage fills up completely) it will then spread to the surrounding 8 tiles.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.