Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a few questions on a few non-gamebreaking bugs(or features?) I have encountered  (Read 633 times)

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile

Hello everyone  :) I'm new to this forum, registered just two minutes ago. That might qualify me as a noob by some definitions, but I've been playing DF for a year and a half now with two megaprojects under my belt, so I guess I will do just fine, eh?   ;D

The fortress i'm currently playing was started in version .12. It's a megaproject... an obsidian monolith that stretches from the top z-level to the ceiling of that hidden something. But I'm encountering a few bugs that are consistent and annoying (albeit not game-breaking in any way), and so I thought it would be a good idea to pool the collective wisdom of O Thee Great Dwarf Lords of Bay12Forums. Just tell me if you need any animal sacrifices done ;)

The bugs I'm getting are the following:

1. new liaisons keep coming with every caravan. Every single one. and they're not labeled as diplomats but rather as some generic profession, i.e. Elf Weaver. They run all the way into my meeting hall and then just idle - they make no effort whatsoever to meet my mayor or baron, whom are idling in their respective throne rooms. Thus I cannot make trade demands, or listen to the Elves rant about tree felling(and this is a bad thing for me - I really liked arguing with them knife-ears :(). This happened ever since I used the 'delaying the liaison' workaround to get a baron appointed.

2. pets and livestock, when they are wounded, get listed on the health screen as 'needing diagnosis', but they are not sent to the hospital and doctors don't care about them. At first I thought this is a bug but you never know with dwarves.

3. my baron was appointed from one of the inhabitants(in fact, he is my first expedition leader ;)), but he still reponds to labor preferrences and works as appropriate, and his labor options can be changed properly. I've seen him dig quarries, construct walls, weave cloth, plant pig tail seeds, brew dwarven rum, etc.. Perhaps this is linked to bug 1?

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello everyone  :) I'm new to this forum, registered just two minutes ago. That might qualify me as a noob by some definitions, but I've been playing DF for a year and a half now with two megaprojects under my belt, so I guess I will do just fine, eh?   ;D

The fortress i'm currently playing was started in version .12. It's a megaproject... an obsidian monolith that stretches from the top z-level to the ceiling of that hidden something. But I'm encountering a few bugs that are consistent and annoying (albeit not game-breaking in any way), and so I thought it would be a good idea to pool the collective wisdom of O Thee Great Dwarf Lords of Bay12Forums. Just tell me if you need any animal sacrifices done ;)

The bugs I'm getting are the following:

1. new liaisons keep coming with every caravan. Every single one. and they're not labeled as diplomats but rather as some generic profession, i.e. Elf Weaver. They run all the way into my meeting hall and then just idle - they make no effort whatsoever to meet my mayor or baron, whom are idling in their respective throne rooms. Thus I cannot make trade demands, or listen to the Elves rant about tree felling(and this is a bad thing for me - I really liked arguing with them knife-ears :(). This happened ever since I used the 'delaying the liaison' workaround to get a baron appointed.

2. pets and livestock, when they are wounded, get listed on the health screen as 'needing diagnosis', but they are not sent to the hospital and doctors don't care about them. At first I thought this is a bug but you never know with dwarves.

3. my baron was appointed from one of the inhabitants(in fact, he is my first expedition leader ;)), but he still reponds to labor preferrences and works as appropriate, and his labor options can be changed properly. I've seen him dig quarries, construct walls, weave cloth, plant pig tail seeds, brew dwarven rum, etc.. Perhaps this is linked to bug 1?

1. I think this is a bug with 21.13; you said you started the fort in .12, are you still using .12 or did you "upgrade"?

2. Pets cannot currently be healed, despite the prescence of an animal caretaker labor and hospitals. Dissapointing, I know, but it should be fairly straightforward for Toady to implement one day. For now though...

Urist McDwarf: "My poor bull is hurt! Can't you do anything for him doctor?"
Bomrek McDoctor: "Hmm, not my area of speciality I'm afraid. Let me call the consultant. INUL!"
Inul McButcher: "Yarr boss?"
Bomrek McDoctor: "Diagnosis on this one?"
Inul McButcher: "Appears to be delicious boss!" *CLEAVE*

3. Not sure, sorry!

meto30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. I think this is a bug with 21.13; you said you started the fort in .12, are you still using .12 or did you "upgrade"?

2. Pets cannot currently be healed, despite the prescence of an animal caretaker labor and hospitals. Dissapointing, I know, but it should be fairly straightforward for Toady to implement one day. For now though...

Urist McDwarf: "My poor bull is hurt! Can't you do anything for him doctor?"
Bomrek McDoctor: "Hmm, not my area of speciality I'm afraid. Let me call the consultant. INUL!"
Inul McButcher: "Yarr boss?"
Bomrek McDoctor: "Diagnosis on this one?"
Inul McButcher: "Appears to be delicious boss!" *CLEAVE*

3. Not sure, sorry!

Thanks for the very quick reply! Whoa, these forums sure are active, huh? :)

I'm still on .12. Haven't gotten around to upgrading yet.

on pets, I do agree this is.... disappointing is one way to put it, yes. On the side, all those hurt animals are mostly kittens and cats who were roaming when they ran into a siege force/ambush, so having them die of some curious infection shouldn't be much of a bad thing...

Thanks again for the help!

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a human mechanic visit with human caravan and sucessfully discuss trade agreements in .12 .

As far as I know #3 is typical behavior.  Military dwarfs perform their selected jobs too.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a human mechanic visit with human caravan and sucessfully discuss trade agreements in .12 .

As far as I know #3 is typical behavior.  Military dwarfs perform their selected jobs too.

Hmm, I'd be really happy if those 10+ diplomats milling around in the dining hall would behave the same way yours did...

so, nobles do work now in DF? I thought they did not do anything other than dismantling constructions and harvesting crops?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, I'd be really happy if those 10+ diplomats milling around in the dining hall would behave the same way yours did...

so, nobles do work now in DF? I thought they did not do anything other than dismantling constructions and harvesting crops?

So far, i've had a baroness miner and a baron serve under a militia captain with no incident. I don't think they're supposed to, since their job is set to "Noble"(and in the military he won't show up as a recruit or affiliated with any weapon skill), but they have no problem doing it anyway.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]