Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrel Conundrum.  (Read 945 times)

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Barrel Conundrum.
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:41 am »

When a barrel has been used, is it put back in the Furniture Stockpile? Or is it thrown away?
This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrel Conundrum.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:55:04 am »

stockpile.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:57:29 am »

Same with bins, sandbags, etc..

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:12:59 am »

Just build more barrels. I find I need around 2,000 barrels to always have an ample supply. Same deal with bins. I have food stockpiles also be furniture stockpiles that accept barrels, bags, and nothing else. This means that there is always a barrel or bag nearby for storing food or food processing.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:01:07 pm »

Barrels get used up FAST.  Fortunately, you can now forge barrels (and everything else, for that matter) out of a single metal bar, so you won't have to go on a massive deforestation campaign to keep your fortress' goods contained.  Here's some tips to keep your barrels available, though.

1. Make separate stockpiles for food and booze, and set the max barrel count for the food stockpiles to 0.  This will save a lot of barrels, since Dwarves love to jam a single stack of prepared meals or glob of fat into a barrel, even though the same item could lie on the stockpile ground and never rot.

2. Have one carpenter's workshop (or magma forge) set up to produce a constant stream of barrels and bins, and adjust the output according to need.  A healthy stockpile of 50 spare barrels can quickly become an empty stockpile, so don't get complacent.

Doing those things will definitely cut down on your "Urist McBrewer cancels brew drink: no barrel" job cancellations.
Sanity is for the weak.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:40:22 pm »

I just keep on clearcutting forests, either above or below ground, and keep on churning out barrels at carpenter workshops until I have around 2,000 barrels. At that point I have enough barrels.

I seperate out stockpiles for crops I grow and things I do not grow. Also drinks and seeds get their own stockpiles.

For crops like plump helmets I make a small stockpile, perhaps only 30 tiles total, that stores only plump helmets and nothing else. No other stockpiles stores plump helmets. This will use 30 barrels at maximum and all extra plump helmets simply rot in the fields. But its okay, I will never, ever run out of food. It also prevents a single crop from consuming all of my barrels. I do the same thing with the other crops I farm.

Then I make many large stockpiles that stores imported plants or plants gathered from herbalism, meat, fat, prepared meals, etc. Everything but plump helmets, seeds, and drinks.

(Drink stockpiles are scattered around the fortress so there is always booze close at hand. Seeds are stored near the farm.)

The general purpose food stockpiles also double as barrel stockpiles, so there is always a barrel close at hand, which means that there are always plenty of barrels to put food into. Don't be shy about making more barrels. Making this many barrels and also bins gets you a few legendary carpenters. Wood is an infinitely renewable resource, and wood also pisses off the elves. I see no downside to using wood for bins or barrels.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:02:08 pm »

With underground water and plants being so much more common now, I find myself with a surplus of wood more often than not, making it really eay to stock up on barrels to store everything, and with farming producing so much food, I managed to make enough booze and prepared meals to last my dwarves for the next fourteen years or so, and I still have a crapload of barrels left over.

Unlike previous versions, you CAN have too many barrels. But cranking out too many is going to take a while.