Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well. THIS has never happened before.  (Read 762 times)

Puglin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well. THIS has never happened before.
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:11:49 am »

Made a new fort, running it off my laptop on version 0.28.181.40d (it also says it's an alpha, if that matters).

Wierd things have been occuring. Firstly, most frustratingly, I can't dig any deeper than z-level 18; I can't even move the camera down any lower. Secondly, there doesn't seem to be a button for combat reports-- at all. Not sure what's going on there, is it a feature unique to the version?

I also got a dungeon master, awesomely-- even though I don't have a baron or any other nobles, for that matter... despite the Wiki saying that Dungeony won't appear until the barons do. At this point I'm wishing I hadn't embarked on a map with Literally No Exotic Animals At All. XD. Could her appearance perhaps be due to the sheer amount of slaughter that has occured at my fort? I've only had the damn thing running for a year or two (dwarftime) and I've killed 260 carps, sturgeon and sea lampreys and many more foxes, deers and groundhogs.

Somehow my fort population is 75, despite the fact I carved it into a mountain made mostly of sand and I've only had 3 influxes of migrants.

And how does the military work these days? I was really impressed to see my hunter actually Really Using his Crossbow for once, but then I tried to command my lone wrestler (who carries a spear with him, for reasons I don't fully understand) to attack a crazed fisherdwarf and there was no button to attack a specific unit. Had to station him at the approximate spot where I thought Crazyfish would end up; as a result, the berserk dwarf managed to smother her husband to death right in front of her newborn child, before she herself was beat down by Wrestly (the baby also seems to have a punctured lung and a dead kitten. He is "Getting used to tragedy".).

So what on earth is going on here?

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well. THIS has never happened before.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:26:31 am »

You are running on a pretty old version. Install the newest versions (or atleast 31.XX)

Puglin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:27 am »

... Orly? That's lame. Thanks. Does that explain All the crap that's been going on around here?

Also I can't install anything at the moment. Don't have admin rights, Lulz.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:39:19 am »

Oh Admin rights. Those pesky things.
Dwarf Fortress is extremely portable so if you were to pick up an external hard drive... (This also works with world of warcraft and a few other games by the way)

From a computer that you have rights on do any saving or installs that you need. Plug the drive into a computer that you have rights to log into and unless you've got a really crazy admin its unlikely you'll have any trouble running the game.

Puglin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:50:24 am »

H-- Uh-- What? I just downloaded the latest version of Dwarf Fortress and started it up without installing it? K COOL. XD.

I tried moving my region5 save folder into the new version (in the save folder, and then in the current folder) but it hasn't shown up in-game. How can I get it working? I was really happy with my fort, and I Want Me that Dungeon Master.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:51:34 am »

Saves from 40d are not compatible with 31.xx. You'll have to start anew.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Puglin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:57:51 am »

NOooooOOoooooooooooooooooo!

Dungeony!

Fuck my life.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:40 am »

Be aware that 0.31.13 is completely different from 0.28.xx

Do some reading on wiki and around the forum to get a grasp on it.

Most basic hints: You NEED to irrigate underground squares for farming. Not necessary for aboveground. Weapon/armor materials are important. Steel > Bronze > Iron. Training is done in special rooms. Military screen is monstrous but helpful. Medicine is complex, read up on it. Armored units can and WILL annihilate anything without armor. Silk cloth is as good as iron armor in many cases.

Did I miss anything?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 02:35:45 am »

.40d is a perfectly valid game, but yeah, in .40d usually you get your dungeon master before your baron shows up, there are no combat reports, you can't command your military to attack a specific target (you just move them to where the hostiles are, and turn on "chase wild animals" if the hostiles are animals), and you can only dig so deep.

Puglin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 02:39:21 am »

Oh, the wiki's back. Awesome, thanks. I Have played more recent versions of DF in the past-- it's just that my old computer just had to go into storage, and the version of DF I chucked onto my thumbdrive was an old one by mistake. They still haven't fixed the silk thing? Cool XD.

Oh, and bronze is better than iron?

Is that intended?

On irrigating farms-- you just mean muddying the ground, right? Not Constantly moistening them?

-- Thanks Nut, well explained. Dwarf fortress is wierd without being able to dig straight down into chambers full of spidery death.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 04:53:33 am »

Yes, bronze is better than iron. This is realistic too. Pure iron sucks - what we call the Iron Age is actually the Steel Age.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 05:23:10 am »

On irrigating farms-- you just mean muddying the ground, right? Not Constantly moistening them?

Yes.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Puglin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 07:28:21 am »

Niiice. Bronze looks cooler anyway =P.

New fortress is go.

I think I might embark on "The Confusing Dessert-Field". There's a human settlement there.

Fatties.