Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training; or rather, how to do it quickly.  (Read 837 times)

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training; or rather, how to do it quickly.
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:35:57 pm »

I've had my dwarves training in the barracks for a long time now, multiple years. None have gone above adequate in any combat skill, and most haven't even reached that. I gather filling the room with repeating spear traps will make them train faster, but only their dodging/armour/shield skills.

Any ideas?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Training; or rather, how to do it quickly.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 04:47:30 pm »

The speartrap thing trains weapon skills, the dwarves 'parry' the spears and get some points from that. You can remove their shield to make it go a bit faster. Just make sure you use training spears, menacing spikes can be... menacing, I guess.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:56:49 pm »

Squads of three dwarves (no more) are ideal as opposed to a single squad with ten dwarves. This will greatly speed training. Also, try and group at least one experienced dwarf in each group of three to maximize training.

Their growth is also exponential of they all start with zero skills. As in they will take a looong time to get up to say Adequate, but after that point Legendary shouldn't take quite so long.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:58:24 pm »

Wooden training spears are probably the quickest way. Make a tiny little barracks, make sure they are wearing all of their armor including both gloves and both boots, then send them there. Put the lever on repeat. It should not take long to get very highly skilled dwarves.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:38:14 am »

I do danger room training in three phases now. The first one has just the dwarf with no weapon and shield to get armor user up, the second phase has him with a weapon until he gets to legendary in that weapon, and the third and final face adds the shield.

The purpose of the first phase is the dwarf getting hit a lot and not blocking the blows needed to train armor user. In the second phase, he parries the blows with his weapon, training the relevant skill, and in the final phase, he trains shield skill. I have found they block too much with the shield for effective training if they start out with one.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:06:40 am »

tbh, that seems a tad involved for me
all I do is set up a 4*4 room with 15 sets of 10 spears each and a bed...
fully equipped, they take maybe 30 seconds of getting smacked around to get legendary fighter, another 30 seconds or so to get legendary shield, then 5-10 minutes for weapons and armor
if I'm not mistaken, the only thing that armor user does is increase speed at which my military dwarf moves, right?
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:30:21 am »

I think so candylord, but that is a very useful skill to have.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:24:54 am »

In 40d, armour user was necessary to negate encumberment from heavy armour. I've heard unconfirmed accounts of DF2010 armour user being used in defense rolls to make more effective use of armour.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:17:15 am »

In 40d, armour user was necessary to negate encumberment from heavy armour. I've heard unconfirmed accounts of DF2010 armour user being used in defense rolls to make more effective use of armour.

Arena test: unskilled hammerdwarf with a steel warhammer gets through the adamantium armour of an unskilled armor user almost all of the time, while his blows deflect off of the adamantine armour of a grandmaster armour user all the time (until he finds an unarmoured weak spot, like the head/face)