Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AuotBackup (and a little help with corruption)  (Read 1213 times)

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
AuotBackup (and a little help with corruption)
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:02:17 pm »

Ok, I love this game to death, but I have one problem; save corruption. This is the Third fort that has fallen to such a beast, with all my options turned on, from uncompressing saves to auto backup. My 2 questions are

1. Is there anything else i can do to stop corruption?

and
2. What exactly does autobackup do?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:53:43 pm by jdf318 »

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AuotBackup (and a little help with curroption)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:26:51 pm »

1. I never had anything like curroption and also never had any corruption of a save game

Maybe you should make a diskcheck of your HDD...such things could be cauzsed by sectors getting defect

2. Everytime you save your game, it writes a 2nd savefile into another folder ... might be useful in your situation

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:52:32 pm »

1. Not just this comp, its happened to every one of my comps (maybe im just unlcuky)

2. Do you know the folder in particular?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: AuotBackup (and a little help with corruption)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:15 pm »

1. Not just this comp, its happened to every one of my comps (maybe im just unlcuky)
What kinds of OSes do you use? Also, no wonder you're having such bad luck, you're unlcuky. Maybe if you were unlucky instead you would have better luck even though you'd still be unlucky.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:55 pm »

2. Do you know the folder in particular?

Nope, havenīt used it since a long time (way before 40d)...
I assume should be located in a separate folder somewhere in your region folder,
for example
/DwarfFortress/Data/Save/RegionX/Backup

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:03:08 pm »

Sorry for typos, been working all day, and its 10 here, I'm tired :P but thanks, I'll look for the folder more. And first I had 2 Xps, now windows 7

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:37:56 pm »

Just to clarify: the path should be something like:

DF/data/save/

And in that folder, there will be a few other folders.  One called "Current", which is always empty when I look in it.  There will also be "region1", "region2", etc.  Each "region" is a world (aka savegame).  When autobackup is on, it'll save something like "region1-spr-1051" which will be your backup file.  I find it best to store these off in some other folder, otherwise you could end up accidentally loading up your backup file when you start DF the next time, then when it autosaves that you'll get some crazy "region1-spr-1051-sum-1051" which is a backup of your backup.  Anyway, I hope that made sense.

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:26 pm »

That does, Thank you. Was kinda hoping that it would just save the game twice when i save it, in case one messes up, but eh, this works :)