Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ocean life  (Read 528 times)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ocean life
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:30:44 am »

Sure it's out there -- it's displayed in population reports, and it couldn't have been genned for nothing, right? I haven't seen it while swimming across the ocean yet. All I've seen are unwarranted 15 second load pauses every 8-10 tiles for either nothing but the usual subterranean creatures, or nothing at all.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: ocean life
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:52:44 pm »

Fish are weird in 2010, you won't get anything but turtles.

So swimming across an ocean is mindnumbingly boring.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:45:28 pm »

Fish are weird in 2010, you won't get anything but turtles.

So swimming across an ocean is mindnumbingly boring.

I've seen a rich diversity of sealife on my ocean embark. Okay, most of the vermind were glasseyes, but I saw some seahorses!

But yeah, there are plenty of ocean creatures. I don't know how often you would see them in adventure mode though if you're out in the middle of the ocean.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 01:52:27 pm »

I think hes on about adventure mode.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:32 am »

Dull is right. I can whizz through the same distance of mountains, which has terrain, altitude and mineral variations, wildlife, and still doesn't take the load time or cause the FPS grind that ocean travel does. My favorite part is that the step immediately following a 15 second pause is....a 45 second pause, just to bring me this: MORE MOTHERFUCKING NOTHING!

And don't the region sizes seem a little inconsistent? I could run for 3-4 regions worth of tiles and still be just off the shore, or worse, still one square away from shore. But somewhere in the middle I'm making three region-tile jumps for just crossing the screen.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:50:27 am by Dok Enkephalin »