Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: Dwarven Transporter/teleporter  (Read 1064 times)

Gamegeneral

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Unblogical Opinion
Question: Dwarven Transporter/teleporter
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:45:01 pm »

I'm wondering if this has ever been tried.
It occurred to me that if you could build something to move a dwarf very fast (In a direction other than down, without them exploding at the end of the trip, and hopefully to somewhere useful), you could have lots of fun with it.

I'm not an experienced player by any means, so I have some questions.
First off, does a dwarf caught in a current move with it? Is there a required water level to move it?

Second, what's the fastest way to move a lot of water?

Will the water slow the dwarf? Will the dwarf stay on the top level of the water?

Basically, my first idea is to try to create a tile with a lever next to it that, when pulled, opens a trapdoor, dropping the dwarf into some water, which is forced to flow at incredible speeds to another point, where the pressure hopefully forces it up and drops him safely on a grate, and then flowing back down.

I can already see a lot of potential issues. Hilarious, but not conducive to my goal.
Examples include Urist getting slammed into the wall and reaching the exit room in multiple pieces. Drowning's a fairly easy one to imagine, too.

Of course, if I can get this to work, I suppose it's only a short step from this to a dwarf cannon, firing nobles at invading goblins and whatnot.

So:
Thoughts, advice, and anything you feel like saying.
Gamegeneral cancels Forum Post: Went insane

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Dwarven Transporter/teleporter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:54:08 pm »

I don't see why that wouldn't work, you'd probably want to make sure your dwarves had swimming experience first though.  My main question is how that would be useful, since you'd have to manually use it whenever you wanted a dwarf transported somewhere (since obviously that's far out of their pathing AI to use automatically). 

Thinking a bit more about it, you'd probably need to have the water fill a small area with a grate on one z-level and a shaft down to a hatch below it (one z-level) so that your dwarves don't slam into the grate, but rather sit in water for a second and then the hatch is opened and they slowly hit bottom.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:01:29 pm »

Doesn't work.
Local diffusion of water pushes objects and creatures, but is slow and there's no way to speed it up.
Pressure-movement of water can be very fast, but does not push objects or creatures.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:49:21 pm »

^^^

That
s because pressure simply teleports the water itself directly through full 7/7 tiles. Flow is an elaborately perpetrated hoax!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:11:39 pm »

Try a bridge-a-pult instead.