Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving & Smoothing Floors & Walls  (Read 585 times)

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
Engraving & Smoothing Floors & Walls
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:57:14 am »

Greetings!

I was curious about somthing, i realized that you could only smooth and engrave stone when it's still in the rock. Is there a way to polish/engrave walls/floors you built yourself?

Thanks,
V
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving & Smoothing Floors & Walls
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:02:06 am »

Nope

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:32:57 am »

You could build walls and floors out of blocks to smooth 'em a little, but you can't engrave constructed floors/walls.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:13:32 pm »

Arlight thanks!

It's kinda nice in a way, found it annoying to dig one extra width to make walls, with this it makes things pretty easy :)

Just have to find some good stone to build in... >.>

:)

The appreciation of walls and floors is relative to their price i assume?

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,
V
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:05:36 pm »

I recommend gold walls. My last fort had a gold wall and gate.

To bad I never got to use them.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »

Yes, it's directly related to the value of the stone that was there.

Also the quality of the engraving matters a lot, however a native platinum floor is worth a lot more than a magnetite floor is worth a lot more than random trash stone floors.

The good thing about constructed floors and walls though is you can build them out of almost anything that would make sense to have a wall out of. No cloth or leather, but for example, if you have a *lot* of iron and flux, building a steel room for some jerk noble will probably shut him up. I've not actually tried that to test the value though, i think i might do that right now out of curiousity.

Edit: dug out a 5x7 block of space in black sand and built a wall around it and floors with plain steel bars. Gave it an exceptional junk stone door and masterwork bed. Room came out as a "Grand Bedroom", coming out ahead of a lot of masterwork engraved rooms that were sandstone and other junk stone. Used 34 steel bars and the aforementioned furniture. I'm not sure, but i don't think steel blocks would make the room have any more value, as both are 150 dwarf$. It might give it a "Smooth" effect like it does for stones though, which i know increases the value, but random junk stones have a value of 3 and the blocks have a value of 5, so there's no way to be sure without wasting 34 steel bars and i'm not feeling up to it right now
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:39:45 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:06:34 pm »

i am kind of annoyed that we have to choose between having low room value, or ugly veins through everything
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?