Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Install on Ubuntu 9.04 / Jaunty with x2go  (Read 945 times)

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Install on Ubuntu 9.04 / Jaunty with x2go
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:40:10 pm »

I think I've resolved most of my problems, this post is mostly for posterity's sake... I'm not creating bug reports because I haven't reproduced any of this and I'm not sure how machine-specific it may be.  (But if anyone thinks a specific problem below should be created as a bug just let me know and I'll do that.)  I'm also not really sure which steps fixed the problem, I pretty much just tried everything I came across.  Also, the notes below are in no particular order.

I downloaded and unpacked df 0.31.14 as well as the Phoebus tileset package (the one for 0.31.13, I think.)  I was doing this all through x2go client, a special kind of remote X Windows session.  Also, Ubuntu is running as a VMWare virtual machine.

When I ran ./df from a terminal window I got two errors that appeared in pop-ups: "Dynamically opening the OpenAL library failed, disabling sound" - "SDL Initialization has Failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual"

I installed the following packages with dependencies via aptitude:

libsdl-image1.2
nvidia-settings
nvidia-glx-173
libsdl1.2-dev
libsdl-ttf2.0-0

For safety's sake I also downloaded the latest version of SDL from

http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.14.tar.gz

and ran configure, make, sudo make install.

I added the following sections to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Code: [Select]
Section "Module"
     Load "glx"
     Load "dri"
     Load "dri2"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
     Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

In the end I still get all the same errors but df opens and runs (with the Phoebus tileset enabled.)  In addition to the pop-up errors listed above there are several copies of two other errors appearing at the terminal: 'xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":50.0".' and "GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog. Resetting textures"  The first error also appears in /var/log/apt/term.log.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Install on Ubuntu 9.04 / Jaunty with x2go
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:20:00 pm »

For some reason these changes didn't hold when the system was rebooted.  I played around with it for another good hour or so trying to figure out what had happened then gave in and scrounged an old Windows XP VMWare image I had and installed on that.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines