Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with difficult patients  (Read 970 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with difficult patients
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »

Just got ambushed by a couple of groups of bowgoblins (with a couple of elves among them) and a few of my dwarves got beat up pretty bad (only one died - one of the original seven :( I shall slaughter ten prisoners in his honour).

Anyway, I have a half-decent hospital set up (soap and everything), but a couple of the wounded got up and started walking around before they could be treated, and one guy is wandering around with some infections. Is there anyway to make them get treatment?

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with difficult patients
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:16:58 pm »

Menacing copper spike x 1.

Remember to set the profile before adding the task.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 03:53:21 pm »

Did you assign a medical dwarf in the (n)obles screen?

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 07:55:48 pm »

Not sure what to do once they start wondering around, but make sure you place the tables touching the beds or they will just get up and wonder away when the doc tries to treat them.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:32:08 am »

Actually, everything seems to have sorted itself out. The guy who was running around flashing bleeding/infected seems to be fine now, and it was heartening to see the dwarf with the broken arm and elbow kill a goblin during the memorial massacre. I've set up a wounding trap just in case though.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:44:55 am »

I have a wounding area in my fort.  Very handy for preventing healthcare providers from getting rusty.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:30:26 am »

Please tell us more!

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:07 pm »

Please tell us more!
Oh, sure.  It's similar to the "danger room" discussed in a few other threads (and I think described in the wiki).  Except instead of wooden spears, I use steel spears.  I have all my "real" military squads train at the barracks with the wooden spear danger room. 

But I also have one squad of expendable dwarves, training at a different barracks which is out of the way of the rest of the fort.  That squad's uniform is set to NOTHING.  That barracks is surrounded by upright steel spears all attached to the same lever.  One pull usually results in a few dwarves wounded enough to need to rest and get diagnosed and treated.  I never have the lever set to repeat because that would lead to dead dwarves and therefore the healthcare workers won't work on them.  Also, useful dwarves going in to recover the wounded might get hurt.

Anyway, a few wounded dwarves end up getting diagnosed which keeps the diagnosticians from getting rusty.  The treatments keep the other healthcare dwarves from getting rusty.  If a dwarf ends up with "ability to stand lost", I lock the room until he/she dies.  Otherwise, I just allow the healthcare process proceed on its own.  Once all the hospital beds are empty, repeat the process.  Every now and then a dwarf ends up dying, but there is always another expendable dwarf available to take his/her place.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 01:35:36 pm »

Urist McNurse: "Doctors orders were to STAY. IN. BED!!!" *pulls lever* *-copper menacing spike- hit patient in the leg, breaking the bone!*
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 01:40:56 pm »

anybody remebers this moment from assassins  creed, when in hospital, guards are breaking patient's legs in knees? yeah, something like that :p