Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: gator moat  (Read 1906 times)

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: gator moat
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 04:23:42 am »

The creative solution:

Build walls funneling in your enemies so that they would have to walk over a multi-z-layer channel to get to you. Build a series of retractable bridges over the channel. Once there are enough enemies on it, pull a lever retracting the bridge so that they fall down a few z-layers and become injured from the fall. Then the gators should be able to clean them up easily! You don't even need to put water in the channel this way! The gators will eat whatever falls in, and then you can go in later to grab their armors and stuff. Dry moat FTW!

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 04:56:46 am »

well this is retarded.  i stabilized the water at 6/7, but the gators dont move in 6/6 water.  i hope they are breathing.  raws have the SWIMS_INNATE tag.  they are just sitting exactly where i dropped them.

anybody have an idea as to whats going on?

Sounds fine; if they can't get out, then they probably will just stay right where they're put. Congrats, you have your own gator moat! You can always test the gators aren't "broken" by throwing them some food...

Your idea is so awesome I'm going to have to steal it next time I have a map with gators. Those bastards are deadly, and it'd be nice to have the goblins be on the receiving end instead!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 09:04:55 am »

I'm going to do a variation on OcelotTango's suggestion. I'll wall off the moat, leaving a bit of space for the 'gators to bask on, and wall off the gap for the wagons. The wall will contain a couple of pet-impassable but unlocked doors and even bridges across the moat for convenience's sake, and since the AI is not yet up to spotting such a blatant trap...

Of course, a couple of carefully-placed traps and a tower full of marksdwarves will be waiting on the other side as insurance; I wouldn't care to bet too heavily on the 'gator against platemail and a proper weapon.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:39 am »

Nilik, you never heard of a gator moat?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:19 pm »

2 Z levels deep, but fill only the bottom level of the moat with water. Fill it with all sorts of wild animals.

Alternatively don't fill it with water at all, but instead populate it with dogs, wolves, cows, horses, lions, tigers, bears, crocodiles, and even cats. Basically every creature the elves bring dump them into the dry moat.

Anything that falls into the moat will be eaten by the army of animals. Also any ranged units will expend their ammo trying to kill all of the animals in there, and so by the time they fight your dwarves they will be out of ammo.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 02:07:23 pm »

Gator moat, the Dwarven version of Swan lake... Where the musical screams of the dying goblins (and the odd merchant who 'slipped' off the bridge)getting ripped apart, can brighten the day and lift the heart of any dwarf.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:14:52 am by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 06:40:10 pm »

well this is retarded.  i stabilized the water at 6/7, but the gators dont move in 6/6 water.  i hope they are breathing.  raws have the SWIMS_INNATE tag.  they are just sitting exactly where i dropped them.

anybody have an idea as to whats going on?

Sounds fine; if they can't get out, then they probably will just stay right where they're put. Congrats, you have your own gator moat! You can always test the gators aren't "broken" by throwing them some food...

Your idea is so awesome I'm going to have to steal it next time I have a map with gators. Those bastards are deadly, and it'd be nice to have the goblins be on the receiving end instead!
I can confirm they are nasty, having lost a hunting dog to a gator that shook the dog by its head, and kept the head when it was pulled loose.  :-[
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]