Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No wagon?  (Read 1506 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No wagon?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 10:14:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure you were supposed to designate their uniform to have an axe in it.  Something like that.

Nope.  Doesn't help, at all.

It's a bug (from .12, that doesn't seem to have been fixed in .13 yet):  Even if they have axes in their uniform, if they have woodcutting enabled, they drop their axe when drafted because it seems to be counted as "civilian equipment" for their woodcutting labor that occupies an equipment slot that they need to open up for their "military equipment".  Never mind that they're both axes; DF doesn't seem to support counting an implement as both yet.

So...  disaster ensues if a werewolf ambushes your woodcutter/axedwarf and you draft her; she drops the axe and tries to punch the furry bastard to death.  If the werewolf goes after the woodcutter without you drafting her, she'll prefer fleeing to fighting, and usually dodge herself into a pond or off a z-level or something--but if forced into close quarters, she will chop at them with her "civilian weapon".  If you draft a woodcutter who's not near an enemy and tell them to station, they'll drop their axe and mosey over to their station.  Fiddle with their settings (re-apply the uniform, forbid/unforbid the axe, or turn off their woodcutting labor--or just wait; I haven't experimented enough) and they will pick the weapon back up.  Eventually.  Not much help when time is of the essence.

tl;dr:  Woodcutter/axedwarf militias don't work.  Combine macedwarf+weaver/herbalist/mechanic/whatever.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: 1 [2]