Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does size matter in combat?  (Read 1790 times)

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
Re: Does size matter in combat?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 09:29:26 pm »

Those that say size doesn't matter, lack in size.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 12:08:41 am »

Generally, skill and equipment trump the advantages of size. 

Although large creatures often use charge attacks which can't be blocked, stun a foe, knock them to the ground, and push them back a square- which can be bad ass. Check it out in arena mode.  If you take control of an elephant on a bridge, you can knock a lot of goblins off to their dooms before they eventually kill you.  I believe that once a creature is prone, the elephant will use its Stance attack, which is more or less trampling something to death.

Also did your Elephants attack this guy one at a time?  The advantages of ganging up are huge.  One elephant knocks a guy down, the rest kick him to death. 

Edit: NVM. I guess elephants have a kick attack as their main attack, and tusks as their secondary. weird. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:59:05 am by The Grackle »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 04:47:46 am »

yes, elephant's main attack is kicking.
Testing in the arena shows it takes roughly 7 (SEVEN) stacked elephants to reliably beat an ironclad lasher. And even then most of the elephants would be dead or dying still. When they do score a kick, the goblin would be stunned for like 1 round then he'd keep on going. Meanwhile he get "whip through the elephant skull and crush the brain" non-stop.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 05:05:29 am »

I think most of your problem was the weapon used. I've had war elephants win easily 1v1 against random armed/armored goblins, but the mechanics behind whips are kind of odd at the moment and they basically work like a hammer flying at supersonic speed and hitting a tiny target. That can either be a broken finger, or skull jammed through brain every single hit.

To put it into perspective, a silver scourge can penetrate steel armor easily and break spines and organs, and whips have 2.5 times the velocity of scourges.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 [2]