Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glaciers and sand layers  (Read 559 times)

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glaciers and sand layers
« on: September 18, 2010, 04:15:29 am »

I was a bit surprised today when I was looking through my glacier nanofort and found a small section of the drowning chamber had a floor of yellow sand. I always assumed that glaciers could never have sand, since it doesn't show up when you are picking a site.

The option to make it a sand collection zone is lit up, which means it is available. I haven't actually tried though.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Glaciers and sand layers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:49:50 am »

It'll work. It is a bug thats been around since 40d, and maybe before that. You do it by digging down to where the ice meets rock and build a construction and then remove it. The floor gets changed to a soil type, can be any type, but it is generally the same type for the whole biome. In 40d you could use this to start up farms right away, though in 2010 you need irrigation first.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:01:30 am »

I'm pretty sure this can happen wherever suitable biomes overlap, but yeah as you say you almost never see it.  If the tile says "sand" then it's sand.  Lucky find, have fun :)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:07:47 am »

In addition, in 31.xx the caverns will contain occasional floor tiles of the lowest soil layer in your biome. If this is sand, it's easy to get a glassworks going in forts that occupy only the third cavern layer.

For proof, just try to smooth the whole cavern and loo{k} at the tiles that don't get smoothed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:25:40 pm »

Ooh, thanks for that. I actually did build paved road over parts of the room to stop plants from growing.