Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave creatures love overground. Wait what?  (Read 735 times)

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Cave creatures love overground. Wait what?
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:47:55 am »

I was just going on a rampage killing my old fortress's migrants when I found the oddest things. Potential spoilers.

I found three Lizard Monsters casually walking around above ground without me even breaking them out of hell, this alone is quite odd but I also "Spotted a giant cave spider" ( Though I never actually found it it DID fight some Dwarves so I assume it was walking around sunning it up and killing as well )

I bumped into a Jabberer too, I at first assumed Demons got out with my Fortress since they were humanoid or something but apparently that's not it at all. I'll post a video to show this, it seems to have something to do with them having names.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2269-jabberersaboveground

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2270-hiddenfunaboveground
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:58:08 am by Nerserus »
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Pseudonym7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Cave creatures love overground. Wait what?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »

*spoilers*
Something similar happened to me when I was in adventure mode with my human adventurer exploring an elven town near my former fortress (abandoned before breaching any caverns mind) which was overrun with cave beasts attacking the elves soon after I arrived.. Was rather an odd sight to see, though the elves seemed to be winning with heavy losses. Shortly thereafter I returned with my adventurer to see if anything interesting had occured while I was gone, only to find the place littered with the bodies of floating guts, creeping eyes, hungry heads (amongst others, but there were LOADS of those) along with the corpses of about 1/2 the elf town's population. Seeing this, I promptly recruited about 5 elf soldiers to follow me on my adventure, cutting their remaining military in half more or less, before my adventurer died by being pulled into a small pond I was passing by a pond grabber and drowning (after killing the blasted thing in revenge). So yeah, I think there was some kinda mixup in the raws or something, as I can't see how a pond grabber would have gotten into said pond from underground when it would've had to have traveled out of the caverns at least, and those things can't walk on land..

(TLDR: I found a cave monster in a place it couldn't have travelled to.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:59:51 pm by Pseudonym7 »