Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash to blue screen  (Read 807 times)

Markatta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crash to blue screen
« on: December 05, 2007, 04:44:00 am »

This could be an operative system thing, but I've only encountered it with Dwarf Fortress.

It seems like a random happening, every once and then DF crashes to the blue screen of death giving an error message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and a bunch of hex numbers, don't know huw much information you can get out of it but I'll post them anyway:

code:
0x0000000A (0x0096F490) 0x0000001C, 0x00000001, 0x804F3AAB

The errorlog in DF doesn't say a word about it.

If this isn't something that can be fixed in DF, can someone give me an idea what to do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crash to blue screen
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 05:17:00 am »

A quick google search says that it's most likely a hardware issue.  See here.  Seems odd to only get it for Dwarf Fortress, but perhaps the game is causing something to overheat?  It's not that surprising; it's pretty processor-intensive.

According to a post here:

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL means that an application with a lower priority is trying to take CPU time away from an application with higher priority. The higher priority process may be an important system application that the machine can't run without, so Windows may not allow it to happen."

Are you using some process priority tweak to speed up Dwarf Fortress?

Another possibly relevent thing is here, which references stop error 0x0000000A specifically.

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

mineditall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eccentrix.com/members/kefka
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 05:45:00 am »

yes doing a search on your own is more helpful than posting that DF caused the accident

most of all blue screen crashes are caused by hardware issues
often by pagefiles, video cards, and irq conflicts before general windows issues such as driver failures and i/o errors

dont just behead, i behemoth!

Markatta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

Oh, sorry. I'm so absorbed by DF I forgot that the rest of the internet existed.
 :D
Will post a note about the fact on my nose.
Thanks anyways!

mineditall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eccentrix.com/members/kefka
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

secondly any overclocking done on your pc can cause more frequent crashes if you fail to overclock properly

the front side bus and pci/clk divider are major factors with more quickly degrading the hardware of your pc

the only blue screen hardware crash i experience on this pc is from a cold state poweron caused by the video card gpu fan being so old that it takes awhile to spin up to speed
pausing on bios for 5 minutes will resolve my issue for the pc "warming up"
rather annoying to wait but its better than causing hard drive corruption when booting into windows

pc_wizard will give you a comprehensive idea of your hardware exceptions being drivers installed such as video driver will be called by video driver not by hardware id, but most other hardware id will be noticed
keep your pc up to the lastest drivers
if there are no drivers for the last 5 years consider there not to be any newer
but keeping your drivers up to date for the past month is usually a good idea

dont just behead, i behemoth!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

Other stuff to check is things like loose/dodgy USB cables, and even loose cables in the machine, such as an IDE cable.

Stop A can also be caused by a dodgy driver, especially sound drivers and sometimes video drivers.

DF is very very unlikely to be the primary cause, but it might be stressing your machine enough to make a hidden hardware issue prevalent.

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.