Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need stronger Goblins  (Read 1074 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need stronger Goblins
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:29:26 pm »

Umm. I never thought that i would ask this, but is there any way after embark of making the goblin or beast attacks stronger or more often? After five years, I have only had one puny goblin attack and nothing else. I believe that I'm in untamed wilds. While it's nice to have the space to get ready, I expected a little more than this.. I have what looks like a fully working hospital, but so far have not had a single injury to test it out.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need stronger Goblins
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »

Dig deeper, there's fun to be had, I promise.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:44:12 pm »

I know that. :) I'm actually about sixty levels above the first caves, I think. I want to try out my magma fun trap.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:00:58 pm »

You could get some defense mod's

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:22 pm »

Make shinies.  Goblins like shinies.

I had a different problem recently: lots of goblins showing up with the very first caravans, then human sieges because I couldn't protect their caravans.  But now in that fort the goblins haven't showed up lately, I'm beginning to get impatient as well.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »

Or try the orc mod!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:17:32 am »

If you get goblins at all, then eventually it will escalate.  It seems to me that if you are closer to a goblin town then you get more frequent and larger attacks but it's still pretty random.  It does also seem to be tied to how much bling you have made/built/exported though.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:01:17 am »

wait wait wait wait wait
does that mean that exports factor into how big of a siege you get?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Right now, my total wealth is 5103021 dwarf bucks
My exports is... 9158 dwarfbucks
qq
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:09:37 am »

According to my diplomacy page the Goblins import Vengeance. Create some. Then they will come to offer their Terror Fun. ;)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:47:01 am »

wait wait wait wait wait
does that mean that exports factor into how big of a siege you get?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Right now, my total wealth is 5103021 dwarf bucks
My exports is... 9158 dwarfbucks
qq
Exports are your propaganda message. "We're really wealthy, come visit us!" - this applies to both immigrants and invaders. Also, whether you get a goblin attack or not is a dice roll, so if you're still not getting them then it's possible you're on an... unlikely streak. Call it good or bad luck, but it's luck.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 02:04:34 pm »

My fort is worth somewhere near like 15M but I've only exported about 15k because honestly nobody has anything I want.  I'm going to start buying out entire caravans just to increase my amount of exports. 

I also captured the leader of the local goblin civilization in a cage trap on like my third siege.  Which was massive.  About 80 goblins, a whole tribe of trolls and maybe 20 mounts and monsters.  Ever since then the sieges I get have been pathetic.  Three squads at most and no animals at all.  I can only hope that more export == better sieges.

I haven't dug Down yet, coz I really like the mechanics of defending against sieges versus occasional FBs tracking blood that makes faces melt off or giving in to clowns.  I'll probably have to try one of the defense mods on the next fort.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:46 pm »

Does offering stuff to the merchants count as exports?  If so that would be one way to get rid of stuff and get more goblins without acquiring masses of stuff you don't actually need. 

The other option of course is to just massively overpay for the stuff you do want.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 02:12:40 pm »

Offering stuff to merchants does not count as an export, but trading a million things for one worthless thing does.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 07:17:03 pm »

I made it so that all underground creatures can be mounts.

I have goblins riding cave dragons besieging me. Much fun for everyone! Also keeps the bonecrafters and leatherworkers very, very busy.