Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS and Aquifers  (Read 776 times)

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS and Aquifers
« on: September 18, 2010, 03:06:34 am »

So I have a fairly decent computer, 4gigs of ram, i3, 9800gtx+ I have an 85ish sized fort with running water and channeled magma. I cap my fps at 50 so it's not such a huge disappointment later when it drops, and also because I like that game speed in general. I just tapped an aquifer and my FPS dropped to 45. Are there any ways to tap and use aquifers in an FPS safe manner? For instance could I tap it, then cave it back in to seal it and recover my FPS? Or is it pretty much game over once I tap into it? My FPS was at 45 with the single tapped tile filled to 7/7 and nothing flowing from it.

-oso

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: FPS and Aquifers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 03:08:57 am »

I've never tried it (so why am I posting) but if you cave it in the water stops flowing. Try it for SCIENCE!

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 03:11:05 am »

Science it is then! I'll post back later but it might take me a while (I don't cave things in often so I'll probably have a lot of fun before I get it right).

-oso

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 03:21:39 am »

I failed at science and flooded my fort... Also I just discovered I have two layers of aquifers. I'm just going to save scum and pretend I never tapped the aquifer in the first place.

Science fail...

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 08:23:53 am »

Wait!
So aquifer drains my FPS even if there is no flow at all? Even if every accessible tile is filled 7/7? So that's the thing that made my FPS many times slower than it should be?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 12:47:47 pm »

I'm guessing that you dug into the first aquifer with an up/down stair.  I think (90% sure) that the down stair part acts like a hole into the lower aquifer, and water landing on the tile will be absorbed into it.  But then you have the upper aquifer filling it every game tick...
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.