Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: R.U.S.E.  (Read 1608 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: R.U.S.E.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 04:33:17 pm »

Which is wierd, because when I played it I was absolutely blown away by how innovative it actually was. I won countless missions using real, sensible tactics that never pay off in real RTS games. For example, a big blob of light tanks, even in the 1945+ mode, under radio silence and sneaking along a flank to hit the enemy base and all its juicy, juicy bomber-laden airfields. Or belts of infantry, light AA and AT guns in forests holding positions against attack without me even needing to reinforce it. Grappling for artillery or air superiority, and once aquiring it, grinding enemy ground forces to pieces. And of course, when they get artillery or air superiority, sneak those light tanks under radio silence around the flank again.

I also loved the interface. Clean, crisp, nothing unnessicary at all. Zoom all the way out and its a sandtable, zoom all the way in and its the actual battlefield. Not to mention it features Italy and Africa instead of Normandy, Normandy, Normandy. Also I can play in 1941 against France...

Dammit, I said I wouldn't get this and I don't really have the money, but you guys make me want to get it again.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 05:08:04 pm »

I like all WW2 strategies COH,MOW,TOW,CM,SP down to old PG... but i didn't liked RUSE during beta and i tried hard to like it.  ???
same here.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:34 pm »

This game seemed too fast and too cramped to me in the beta.  Maybe I just suck at RTS though.  :/
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:37 am »

I actually think this game is fantastic. Realistic tactics pay off, the nations are different enough to make each of them interesting, the ruses are pretty cool, and (most importantly!) I keep firing it up for a quick skirmish even when I really don't have time and need to get some sleep.

Yeah, it's one more WWII RTS, but it doesn't feel or play like a poor CoH clone. CoH is amazing for more tactical battles and awesome gameplay, while R.U.S.E. is more like a grand strategy RTS that actually makes me feel like a general. (Just, you know, focused on a smaller theater of conflict.)

I just wish they released mod tools for the PC version, but I guess longevity in a game isn't a profit point or something.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 03:38:29 pm »

Smaller theatre of conflict? :P For the chiefs of staff maybe but goddamn man, those maps are technically the size of entire provinces in a country! Each 5cm^2 block of land in each map is the size of an 8-player map in Company of Heroes. xD

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »

Smaller theatre than say, Hearts of Iron. Its a game focusing on the operational level of war, which is actually between strategy and tactics. Like the Battle of the Bulge. That was operational. The siege of Bastonge was a battle, and the
Western European theatre was strategic. That makes it very unique in that you can lose battle after battle, line after line, city after city; but if on the operational scale you're bleeding the enemy to death, the scoring system rewards you with a win.

And yes, I've won more than once with my entire base destroyed. Barely squeaked out a minor victory usually, but its doable.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 [2]