Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Current state of wooden training weapons?  (Read 711 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Current state of wooden training weapons?
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:13:13 pm »

When the military was first revamped your dwarves would proudly equip and train with wooden training weapons. Then when the alarm bell sounded they would be so eager to join the fray that they would forget to equip their properly sharpened steel axes before they started hacking away.

Anyone know if dwarves now have the presence of mind to swap weapons before hopelessly bashing away at the shell of a forgotten beast?

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Current state of wooden training weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:19:12 pm »

My experience has been that dwarves don't use training weapons at all anymore. However, they also don't do damage when sparring with their regular weapons.

My sparring logs have hundreds of entries along the lines of "The Axedwarf hacks The Axedwarf in the head with hid adamantine Battleaxe, lightly tapping the target!", so apparently it has been worked out so they can train without the training weapons.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »

My experience has been that dwarves don't use training weapons at all anymore. However, they also don't do damage when sparring with their regular weapons.

My sparring logs have hundreds of entries along the lines of "The Axedwarf hacks The Axedwarf in the head with hid adamantine Battleaxe, lightly tapping the target!", so apparently it has been worked out so they can train without the training weapons.

Theyve always trained with normal weapons too, but some times when they intend to tap they bash. Try training some speardwarves. You'll eventually get a "Urist McSpeardwarf has suffocated message" its because some one "tapped" his throat with a spear. 0o

Oh well, acceptable losses.

Here's the thing though.... damn my dwarves seem to train slowly with normal weapons. I was hoping they'd train more quickly with wooden ones. Maybe my barracks is too small to accomidate proper training sessions. It's only a matter of time before my engraved marble super barracks is complete and my dwarves can train in luxory.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:04:27 pm »

I've had naked dwarves train with adamantine weapons before. No injuries ever occurred. Training weapons just get your soldiers attached to them; they really have no benefit to their use.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:37:34 pm »

Except training axes, which, despite being entirely counter-intuitive, can chop down trees.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:30 am »

Training spears are also used in danger rooms to quickly train up defensive skills. Training weapons (at risk of attachment) are best used to spar against weak wildlife or stripped prisoners.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.