Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Name Challenge  (Read 1710 times)

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name Challenge
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 04:48:52 am »

Bonus challenge: Somehow include your civ name in there too.
My current fort is "Shovedrings" of the civilization "The Road of Nails".
Shovedrings; maybe I only ever trade rings (i.e, shove a pile of useless ring trinkets onto the traders)? Road of Nails is pretty obvious, I build a paved road to my fortress lined with spike traps.

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 05:18:04 am »

Cosmiciron.  The Helm of Gifts.

=/

I'm at a loss...  I decided on doing a large iron telescope with a glass lense for the Cosmiciron (first dwarven observatory outpost).  But how to work a helm into that... Other than to just make the entrance to my fort a helm... and Helm of Gifts?  I'm on a volcano maybe I bear the gift of liquid hot magma through a death chamber that releases magma through the mouth of the helm entrance to my fort?  Hmmm... this will take some thinking.

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 05:19:44 am »

My new fortress's name is Graniterazors. I'm thinking of obsidian shortswords, but I haven't found any obsidian on this map.  :-\

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 06:55:19 am »

Edit: Okay got my fortress name.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Windlens. I'm thinking something to do with windows? Or perhaps an open-air building made entirely out of clear glass?
Sounds like a windmill sitting atop a glass block tower to me. with extra glass features. :)

Edit, my current fort is called Abbeymine, which is a bit dull really. Benedict miner-monks making good booze and taking a vow of silence and solitude.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:57:36 am by Tsarwash »
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:11 am »

For Windlens, I would suggest turning off the cave-ins off and building a vertical circle of clear glass in midair. Optionally with fortress inside. And with a platinum border.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 11:58:16 am »

Okay, as much as I enjoyed the concept of this challenge, it is getting very tedious. My fortress looks good so far but it just takes soooo long to churn out clear glass blocks. I guess I should probably bite the bullet and start using magma forges. I just wanted to see if using fuel was still a viable option. It is, there's plenty of it and if I were making everything out of metal this would be less of an issue but it takes three fuel to make clear glass plus sand gathering making the process at least 4 times longer than it would be for most anything else.

I think I'm going to go ahead and call this challenge completed.  I proved to myself that I can make a clear glass fortress.  But it's getting boring fast.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 12:01:37 pm »

Current fort is Slowsound, it's already in progress though. So maybe my next fort will be a name challenge.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 04:48:57 pm »

Ironbeast. What to do, what to do...?
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 05:10:41 pm »

Ironbeast. What to do, what to do...?

Iron and megabeasts as exports.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 06:54:14 pm »

Boltface. I kid you not, the RNG gave me "Boltface." As soon as I get food production going reliably, I am constructing a gigantic face as my entrance... the trade depot is in the mouth, with ballistas for teeth. Marksdwarves stand guard in the pupils and fire at passersby (they're dwarves, do they really give a damn if the target is hostile?).

After Toady implements moving fortress parts and burning constructions, I will come back to this challenge. The outer portion of the face will be constructed from wood. When it seems all hope is lost, when the spirit of the dwarves is fading, I will pour magma over it and turn it into a massive skull-shaped dwarven battletank.
Pages: 1 [2]