Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slight exploits with the map edges.  (Read 613 times)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
Slight exploits with the map edges.
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:05:00 am »

At present the game will not allow you to build walls within a certain distance of the map edge, and will not allow you to channel to the very edge of the map.
All well and good, *but*, if you should happen to come across a tree growing on the very edge of the map, you can create a channel leading up to that tree.  End result: a defensive barrier that completely prevents passage along that side of the map.  It seems slightly exploity to me.

As a corollary, you can create a "wagon-road in the sky" by building a 3 tile wide road to the map edge and then building it outwards along the map edge.  This road does not need to be on the ground, and as far as I can tell could quite happily be ten tiles higher than the surrounding terrain.  Wagons spawn on the road in the sky, no bother.   :)

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Slight exploits with the map edges.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:21:00 am »

Given that there's nothing stopping you from encircling your fort with walls, ect. just not right on the map edge, there's no reason to impose any limitations based on potential tree blockage.  The real reason for the limit is to prevent flow related weirdness.  Things like aquifers and channels draining into oblivion off map.  Also, this prevents things like goblins spawnning over channeled lava and instantly dieing, which makes no sense from the goblin's standpoint.

Concerning the wagon thing, how are you building roads off of the ground?  You mean bridges?

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

You realize of course that since a U-bend will create an infinite amount of water, we need an infinite pit to drain water into if we happen to build waterworks inside our forts.  Since chasms aren't on every map, there's only one other option; "Make it someone else's problem".

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:29:00 am »

Yes, sorry, I was using "road" in the loose sense of "constructed path".  Floor tiles in the sky, rather than bridges in the game sense.  Something like:

code:

...+++edge
++++++edge
++++++edge
++++++edge
...+++edge
...+++edge
...+++edge
...+++edge

I see what you mean about the flows, but using a tree in this manner does provide an advantage - it forces enemies away from the map edge (where, on a flat map, they would always be able to circle around the map) and makes it easier to funnel them into traps.

This is the sort of thing I mean - there is only one possible path around the map and goblins starting anywhere (except from directly in front of the fortress entrance) will be forced to walk over the trap-laden bridge and be chopped up into meaty kibbles.
I guess it's only really important on flat(ish) maps as any hilly map would have this sort of thing anyway with natural rock obstacles.

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:42:00 am »

ok...if this is a bug...how do you propose that it be fixed?

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

You can also build draw bridges on the edge and raise them to completely block it. That way immigrants and those pesky traders don't get stuck half way around the other side of the map.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.