Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My fortress has become boring.  (Read 5203 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fortress has become boring.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:44:02 pm »

no farm plots? how? you cant sustain an entire fortress with plant gathering.

Honestly? Fish. In my previous fort I had over 3000 prepared fish meals. I had 15-20 Dwarves. I had too much food.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 06:51:04 am »

The cool thing about dwarf fortress is how limitless it is in possibilities. You can do whatever you want. While framerates CAN be an issue, I usually find it worth it in order to accomplish something cool. Here are a few ideas.
-Replace automatic cage/weapon traps with cooler environment-made traps of magma
-build up your military and have "arena" style battles in a colosseum using caged enemies.
-continue looking for hidden fun stuff
-Aqueducts
-build a computer out of pressure plates.

And much much more!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 07:09:14 am »

Dig out a massive maze that leads into your fort, flood magma into the maze and see if you can build up floodgates in various places before it floods you.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 08:10:57 am »

Make a world-flooding system, Boatmurdered style. Less work than a mega-project, and twice as awesome.

Oh, snd slaughter some animals/dwarves to increase FPS. Lowering your G_FPS should help, too.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:45 am »

I look at the original Transport Tycoon for an example.

I've been playing the same saved game for, oh, let me think.... 14 years now?

The competition was beaten a long time ago (The first week I believe!) and I've been on my own ever since, with the TTD mod, simply trying to build the perfect rail network.

The goals are what you make them.

I'm trying to stablise my society before I figure out how the military aspect works (it looks helluva confusing), and then I'm going to MINE THE WORLD! :)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 11:04:10 am »

I suggest vote Toady to make the Demonic fortress or some Dwarf adamantine construct to be TELEPORTABLE to a new location in the game where your dorfs can "start again." After conquering hell of course.

Instead of "My fortress has become boring," - "My fotress has become DEAD SLOW. " Quadcore and no juice to run DF at decent FPS. ;_;  :'(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:54:41 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 03:27:31 am »

I really like that idea. once a fortress and or the map becomes tedious and boring, there should be the ability to choose some of your dwarfs and supplies and go re-embark with those some place new, thus adding continuity to your game, but not needing to start from scratch... Leave those damn usless Urist mcDwarfs to their now dull fortress while your stars can help you to carve your next masterwork of a fortress!

An alternative option to abandon the fort, which feels like "do you want to destroy all your hard work?"
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 05:51:46 am »

This is turning into a great suggestion!

I'de like to pick seven dwarves out of my population, and then Re-Embark to a new location with them.

The embark points would have to go up considerably, in order to take legendary guys and their fancy gear. And the increased embark points would give a good reason to Re-embark instead of starting over fresh. Also, instead of taking supplies from your civilization, you'de take supplies from your fort's stocks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:56:21 am by AngleWyrm »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:26 am »

I have the answer. Dig a 1 box-wide square all around the border of the map, then deepen it into some sort of trench. This must be continued until it reaches the very bottom of the map, whereupon a z-level must be totally cleared. A support should be placed here next to a lever, in effect holding up the entire fortress. Simply send a dwarf down there, pull the lever, then smash him into a fine paste as your entire fortress (and much of the map itself) moves down 1 Z level.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 09:23:28 pm »

Mod dwarfs so that children turn into tentacle demons upon reaching teenageAdulthood.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 [2]