Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixing the dialogue to avoid f**kups  (Read 826 times)

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing the dialogue to avoid f**kups
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:50:39 am »

So I really needed the caravan to come on time this year, and up roll those pointy eared bastards.

Whilst I wait for the irritating dialogue to go through the motions, I hit 'b' to finish building something, and find I've hit it at just the right time to tell them to f**k off with their tree slaughter crap.

Off go the caravans, no trade, and no doubt a war soon to follow.

Can we either look at making the dialogue more smooth instead of kicking in every few seconds, or can we look at making it have a point with the Elves? I get asked the same question every time. I presume there is only one. Obviously I'm not going to say 'No' as they might come and kick my head in. So why don't you look at making a system whereby the amount of trees you've felled directly affects their prices, and if you've cut down too many, it has the same net result as if you'd told them to f**k off first time round.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing the dialogue to avoid f**kups
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:33:15 am »

I just wish those dialogs wouldn't pop up while the game is paused. What the heck, are they on a random timer? If the game is paused, I don't want to be interrupted!
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:00:28 pm »

I just wish those dialogs wouldn't pop up while the game is paused. What the heck, are they on a random timer? If the game is paused, I don't want to be interrupted!
Whichever timer the meetings are on is separate from the one the dwarves are on. Each action you take with the interface (designating, constructing, etc.) advances the meeting slightly, even while paused.

Try this: Once the conversation starts, pause, and then scribble designations with the mouse*, and the conversation screens should start coming right up. You can use this glitch to make the entire negotiation happen in an instant of dwarf-time, thus preventing your leader from going off to get a drink or something and delaying the meeting for a year.

*It also works designating things with the keyboard, but the mouse is faster because it makes each square count as a separate action.

============

As for improving things: I think the best way to make the dialogs less intrusive is to do something like this: Make a screen for diplomatic options (maybe off the Civilizations screen) that the player can access at any time, and use to set things like "what stuff we want to negotiate for", and "what kinds of terms we are willing to accept from them", etc.
Then when the meeting takes place, your dwarf negotiates based on those settings, rather than asking you every time. The dialogs could be completely eliminated.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:03:47 am »

I would be nice if trade agreements could be saved like Embark profiles.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"