Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-Existent Dwarves Ghosts?  (Read 649 times)

lastpick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non-Existent Dwarves Ghosts?
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »

Well I have searched through the forums and bug reports with no avail. More detail can be given if asked for but heres my problem. About two days ago I upgraded to the latest minor point release. Now nearly two days later I have grown my inhabitants to 186 dwarves and have been looking at how to make things more efficient so I took a look at the justice screen and found there are roughly 22 dwarves listed in grey that don't appear in any of the other lists. Now honestly I haven't checked all of the ones listed, but I did a sampling and couldn't find these dwarves in the unit screen alive or dead. When I look at my prison area it appears empty and I can't see anyone currently tied up. Could this be a bug caused by the upgrade?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Non-Existent Dwarves Ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:23:00 pm »

It could have something to do with the upgrade.  It's very hard to tell.  In general, the dead units should be listed in .  If you have the save, I can look at it.

toadyone@bay12games.com or somewhere downloadable
region#.sav + region# folder in some kind of zip/rar

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

lastpick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 10:38:00 am »

I've been going through the list and have found most of the ones listed are deceased. Not sure but I think the job title shown in the justice screen might be different than the deceased? I need to verify that. Question is why are they shown in the justice screen if they are dead? and why is there no sentence shown? Is it because they are dead?

I really like the game but I hope you can work out the noble mandates vs sentencing game design. How about fining said dwarves once the economy is started instead of sentencing them to death in prison? I say this because prison ends ups almost always being a death sentence in the games I have played so far.

Thanks for an addicting game. Btw since you seem to be well versed in procedural content generation, have you considered it's use in terms of 2d bitmap graphics?

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 11:58:00 am »

The justice screen always shows all crimes that have occurred.

You're just looking at the history of crime at that point in time.

It might be nice to have a "Past/Present" seperator on the page, to clear up the confusion.   Removing past crimes would work too, although it is kind of neat to be able to see what they were.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 12:12:00 pm »

Hmm, there should be dwarf hauntings.

lastpick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »

What like the ghost of Siegemas past?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »

I've done quite a bit with generation of 2D bitmaps for various (unreleased) projects.  I did a face generator for my robot game, and I've done some interesting things with space ships blowing apart.  It would be possible to do lots of things along those lines for DF, but it's a very large time sink.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

lastpick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »

I hear you, the upfront cost in time to get algorithms that produce consistent looking results is very high. I actually like the approach that KKrieger took. Have you looked at their tools for procedual content generation? Its an interesting idea very similar to the approach will wright took albeit at a far greater complexity than what he plans to release to the public. My absolute favorite so far has been the work done by blueberry3d, unfortunately its use appears rather limited to just the military. If you can find them take a look at their video demos, its an amazing show stopper to see a real time procedural geometry engine that runs and looks that good. Of course it could all be smoke and mirrors ... Anyways, if you ever make a move with the game to graphics I think procedural content generation would work quite nicely with Dwarves. Last note there's actually a rather usefull library, I thinks it call noiselib on sourceforge that has some of the groundwork allready laid for working with perlin noise. The functions are pretty broad allowing for their use in procedural animation and texture generation.