Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More armor questions  (Read 805 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More armor questions
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:20:15 am »

So, I've been trying to get a handle on using my military but for what ever reason I'm getting absolutely destroyed in combat. The number one killer for my dwarfs are arrows and bolts even when decked out in full adamantite. So, I started reading the forums and the wiki to see maybe if there was something I'm doing wrong and I've only managed to further confuse myself due to the large amount of conflicting information.

I've found this list on the wiki for the maximum armor to equip your troops with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But i continue to get combat messages that show Urist takes an arrow to the hand through his mitten with no mention of the adamantite gauntlet also in that location. So I started looking around more and found some one stated that the game only checks one piece of armor in a given location for the protection and ignores the others  :'(
The other trouble I run into is that I'll have dwarfs killed or wounded from the first or second hit with any weapon. Goblins copper weapons are cutting through adamantite like butter it seems.

Any clarity that can be offered on this would be great. I'm running v0.31.12

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More armor questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:32:44 am »

Make sure your dwarves are actually equipping all that armor. I generally don't fool around too much with layering because it's a PITA to try and get the dwarf to actually put it all on. Here's what I use, (used to have cap in my uniform but never saw it being mentioned in any reports so I don't use it anymore)

Robe/Dress
Mail armor
Breastplate
Helm
Greaves
Gauntlets
High Boots

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:35:38 am »

Ya they're putting it all on, For the longest time I just went with the list below but I still had the same troubles that I'd posted above.
Breastplate
Mail Shirt
Greaves
Helm
High boot
Gauntlets

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:21:59 pm »

Ya they're putting it all on, For the longest time I just went with the list below but I still had the same troubles that I'd posted above.
Breastplate
Mail Shirt
Greaves
Helm
High boot
Gauntlets

I use those and tell my Dwarves to not wear any other clothes.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 03:30:54 pm »

There's an item missing from that list.

1x Dwarf baby.

If the arrow hits the baby, it doesn't hit the mother. Assuming she then takes joy in slaughter, drinks some fine booze and eats a decent meal in an opulent dining hall, you ought to come out ahead. Plus, you've sacrificed something pretty much useless to preserve a valuable military asset.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:32:55 pm »

There's an item missing from that list.

1x Dwarf baby.

If the arrow hits the baby, it doesn't hit the mother. Assuming she then takes joy in slaughter, drinks some fine booze and eats a decent meal in an opulent dining hall, you ought to come out ahead. Plus, you've sacrificed something pretty much useless to preserve a valuable military asset.

You've also created a tantrum spiral.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »

But i continue to get combat messages that show Urist takes an arrow to the hand through his mitten with no mention of the adamantite gauntlet also in that location. So I started looking around more and found some one stated that the game only checks one piece of armor in a given location for the protection and ignores the others  :'(
The other trouble I run into is that I'll have dwarfs killed or wounded from the first or second hit with any weapon. Goblins copper weapons are cutting through adamantite like butter it seems.

Any clarity that can be offered on this would be great. I'm running v0.31.12

Mittens provide protection in some small areas that gauntlets don't. You can test this in the arena. Put one dwarf in full armour with no clothing and all armour parts, and the other in 2 mittens, a dress, a hood, and 2 shoes, then give them both training spears. After a while, the armour-clad dwarf will have injured hands/toes, while the cloth-wearing one will still be fine.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 05:02:08 pm »

Nah, only the parents are affected, since the kid has no friends. As long as you make sure your battle matrons (and their male counterparts) are kept to a decent standard of happiness, you never have to worry about starting the spiral.

This is an important part of my military strategy. Mind you, if DF2010 makes that not work anymore for one reason or another, then I don't know about it. I'm only embarking on my first serious DF2010 game now.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 06:52:33 pm »

Nah, only the parents are affected, since the kid has no friends. As long as you make sure your battle matrons (and their male counterparts) are kept to a decent standard of happiness, you never have to worry about starting the spiral.

This is an important part of my military strategy. Mind you, if DF2010 makes that not work anymore for one reason or another, then I don't know about it. I'm only embarking on my first serious DF2010 game now.

Dwarf baby has been shot and killed!

Dwarf parent has gone berserk and punched Dwarf Miner!

Dwarf miner has killed Dwarf Wood crafter!

And it just keeps going. I don't know about you, but I don't keep my Dwarves at a reasonable standard of living.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 07:27:01 pm »

The armour-using skill makes a massive difference. I have had recruits die from a copper spear piercing their heart through steel breastplate and chain and have conversely had my combat-hardened (and danger-room-hardened) soldiers suffer no injuries at all whilst fighting many gobbos all at once.

The armour makes a difference, but not much of one if the attacker's skill with the weapon is significantly higher than the defender's skill with their armour.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 07:52:23 pm »

Thanks for the information on this guys. I have to wonder then if the majority of the problem I was having with military deaths was in part due to simply having poor skill.

So, then I'm back looking at that huge list of armor stacking from the wiki. Is there a point when having six hoods and two caps is over kill and not really helping any more?

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:17:41 pm »

Thanks for the information on this guys. I have to wonder then if the majority of the problem I was having with military deaths was in part due to simply having poor skill.

So, then I'm back looking at that huge list of armor stacking from the wiki. Is there a point when having six hoods and two caps is over kill and not really helping any more?

I've got a Dwarf with just the steel armour and shield (helm, breastplate, chain, gauntlets, greaves, highboots) who has yet to be wounded in any combat since his early days training in the danger-room--and he has seen a lot of combat--32 notable kills now) . I will, once I feel like getting adamantine, make him some clothes out of it.

Stacking seems like overkill if they are skilled enough.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »

Overkill? Blasphemy! This is DF!