Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves forget their nicknames in the heat of battle?  (Read 671 times)

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves forget their nicknames in the heat of battle?
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:39:59 am »

one thing I've noticed is that after almost every siege, I have to give all of my military dwarves their custom names back
so instead of being Awesome Hammer Lord 05, they go back to being Urist Mcasdfjhu, which is annoying for me, cause I like all my dwarves having helpful nicknames =/
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Iamnobodycl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves forget their nicknames in the heat of battle?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 04:18:59 pm »

one thing I've noticed is that after almost every siege, I have to give all of my military dwarves their custom names back
so instead of being Awesome Hammer Lord 05, they go back to being Urist Mcasdfjhu, which is annoying for me, cause I like all my dwarves having helpful nicknames =/

Is there anyway to stop this ?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:51:04 pm »

Did you assign those nicknames in-game, or did you use Dwarf Therapist or some other utility?
If the latter, it's probably a problem related to the way utilities assign nicknames (I encountered the exact same problem in 40d and discovered that Dwarf Manager was at fault).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:00 am »

I assigned it with dwarf therapist...
does that mean I have to go through every single bloody dwarf in my army and change their names to something approriate?
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:10 pm »

I'm not sure if DT is at fault here, but I think that dwarves in the military get new nicknames when they get more kills.  These nicknames override existing custom ones.  As they keep fighting, they get new names.  Custom professions are not overridden, however.  I thought I saw a bug tracker report on this a while ago but can't find it with a quick query now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:35:34 pm »

When I assigned nicknames using Dwarf Manager, they kept getting overridden every time a special name was gained, but once I started assigning them in-game, they all stuck properly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:25:30 pm »

Neat trick.  I'll have to try that next time.