Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Filter for FB?  (Read 545 times)

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Filter for FB?
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:23:51 am »

So I've become convinced that Forgotten Beasts can pass through fortifications (at least ones in water). This is not the usual water pressure pushing creatures through, they pass back and forth through them with ease. With that in mind, and since they are building destroyers, any ideas on a filter for flowing water that will keep the buggers out?

Apparently there is a bug that prevents building destroyers from destroying buildings directly above them. So a floor grate that they must pass through from beneath should 'hypothetically' stop them.

This is what I've come up with, but I'm concerned it will stop the flow of the water making it worthless for power generation:

= Tunnel
H Channel
_ Floor Grate

===H
   H  _===
   H  H
   H===

The reason the second stage is lower than the first is that in my experience (40d) in those situations water has not filled all the way to the top layer, but only to one layer beneath. That might not actually be how it works but it happened to me a long time ago and I've never cared to experiment with it.

Other ideas I had included having a pump draw water off the top of a fortification, but I'm not sure if that will work. since it leaves open space above the fortification and the pump is to the side, leaving it vulnerable to flying beasts.

Note: I'm trying to avoid perpetual motion here, since it's kind of lame (even if it is dwarfy).

Any ideas?

-oso

Apple_Cheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Filter for FB?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:00:07 am »

Could it be that this was a FB made of a liquid because that may allow it to pass through the fortification just like another liquid would.  Has this happened with any other FB?

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Filter for FB?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:28:49 am »

Mine was a feathered spider or something of the like, but not gaseous or liquid. This was a reply from another post of mine about FBs.

In 31.12 at least, in my experience underwater fortifications act like they're not even there for Forgotten Beasts.  In my 'new' design, my main water cistern is open to the cavern lake, using fortifications to keep it 'secure'.  However, FB's have been happily coming in through the fortifications quite often, or pathing back and forth across them in their little indecisive patrols, etc.  No pause on one side waiting for the current, or any kind of delay or debate implying any kind of impairment is present.  I've actually had to k-inspect the place over and over again to convince myself the fortification is still there, heh.

In 40d, I experienced the 'fortifications block movement, but the current can push things through' plenty.  The way FBs have been interacting with my underwater fortifications in 31.12 seems like a completely different phenomenon, imo.

(and none of these FBs have been gaseous or liquid or the like - they've generally been inorganic, but a few biological ones as well, and all solid)