Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not dumping anything?  (Read 3579 times)

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
  • when you stop to read, you have to leave a rock
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
Dwarves not dumping anything?
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:50:15 pm »

It seems my dwarves have stopped dumping anything I've told them to.  All the dumps I have are accessible, as well as the stuff I've tried throwing out.  Many of them have the Cleaning/Hauling skills all enabled as well, its like they're just ignoring the mess.

Anyone know what's up with this?

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not dumping anything?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:02:38 am »

Have you checked refuse options maybe you turned refuse collect off,if not maybe try a new dump.

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:11:04 am »

New dumps aren't working.  Where are the refuse options?

*edit*

I found the refuse options and they are all enabled so that everything should be allowed to be dumped, yet everything goes ignored.  I've dug multiple new dumps of different formats and still, no success.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:03:01 am by Hour Hero Yes »

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 11:07:01 am »

Sorry about double posting, but my fortress is getting packed  full of remains, and I can't get the stone out of my newly dug storerooms!  Can anyone give me a lead on how to fix this?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 12:27:58 pm »

Is your dump zone active?  [q] over them and check to see if it is active.

Hrm, after reading over the thread again, I am not sure if you are using refuse stockpiles, or garbage dump zones.  Did you use {i}-designate area-{g} for your 'dump zone'?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:30:30 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »

Yes, they're all I-G'd.  They are also active.  Could this be some sort of bug?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 12:39:02 pm »

It sure seems odd but it is not a bug I have heard of nor seen on the bug tracker...   Have you tried resetting pathing with the lock/unlock a door trick?  Are you certain that you have refuse hauling enabled on your dwarves?

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 02:35:53 pm »

All the hauling/cleaning labors are enabled on my "janitors", but I'm not familiar with this door trick.  How's it work?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:13:07 pm »

Simply lock a door, unpause for a few seconds, then unlock it and unpause again.  This resets pathing and usually clears up any odd pathing issues.

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 11:26:14 am »

I've tried the door trick, and still no dwarves are dumping anything.  Piles of stone remain uncleared and miasma is starting to build up.  Things get more dire as time progresses.

AdirianSoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:47:50 am »

I had this when I had my dwarves divided into two castes, and one of the castes (the surface caste, unsurprisingly) died; apparently dumping is handled via a queue, and if one item can't be dumped, it just sits there waiting until it can.  Check to make sure you don't have inaccessible items marked for dumping.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:35:56 pm »

Refuse? As in body bits and other things? They could be forbidden. Make sure the items you want to dump are not forbidden. Dwarves won't dump items that are also marked forbidden.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »

I'm having a problem similar to this.  I've got a whole bunch of boulders (more than a hundred) which the dwarves seem to be simply unwilling to move.  This is in a reclaimed fort and all the boulders are reclaimed (i.e. not forbidden).  I have tried marking them for dump (and I've checked that the dumps are active), un-marking and re-marking them, creating stone stockpiles to move them to and creating custom stockpiles to move them to.

The primary reason it's a problem is that I'm trying to construct a cistern but you can't build floors or walls on a tile that contains a boulder, otherwise the construction gets suspended for the site being blocked.  (Which in itself seems like a bug, since the construction actually requires a boulder.)

Another possibly-relevant aspect is that this is all happening in an area that was not visible on the map immediately after the fortress was reclaimed; like with a cavern, I had to get a dwarf to wander into the area before the place I'm constructing the cistern became visible again.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:59:12 pm »

There is a bad bug with reclaim where any items that were marked for use in a task before abandoning, will become "stuck".  There is a fix for this included in DFHack, the "dfcleartask" utility.  Run that when starting up on reclaim and it will fix most of it.

As to why dwarves might ignore dump jobs in general, check (o)rders -> (r)efuse and see if gather (r)efuse is enabled.

Azhral

• Bay Watcher
  • Lets get Tactical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »

I had a similar issue in my fort. 'dfcleartask' broke the save (ctd every time), but I went around and unmarked everything for dumping (d -> b -> D) and then remarked it all, and the little beggers got straight back to work.

I think the problem was I had way too many things marked for dumping, and they just weren't doing any dumping jobs that got over a certain threshold.