Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I never catch a break  (Read 645 times)

Kaurne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I never catch a break
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:25:47 am »

Embarked on a new fortress, new version, decided to see how caves/caverns were in the new version. used a custom build of mine, which included a devoted warrior with bronze weapon, shield and body armour. embarked, saw just a few troglodytes etc in the cave, found a good location to build fort and dig down. decided to see how far the caves extended.

Crap.

There's a hydra living in the cave. A huge one.

Ok, I can deal with this. Leave it alone, build up a military, get good food stocks, deal with it later.

That worked for about a year and a half. I got two separate (but small) waves of migrants before the first caravan, and a larger one later to boost my pop to 31, although one guy got eaten on the way in. I saw a wonderful irony - i now have 7 dwarves with some kind of military skill. Draft them all, and I can have one guy take on each of the hydras heads after training. Meanwhile a cat wandered into the cave, discovering the cavern for me but getting ripped in half by the hydra.

I wisely built a drawbridge, wall and moat to protect my fort fromn goblins, which worked as an ambush then arrived in my second spring. Arrived on top of the Hydra.

The five goblins kill the Hydra, losing one guy in return. The list of its wounds takes up an entire 1650 x 1080 screen.

The goblins piss about round outside the fortress for a while, killing goats and one mason who got left outside.

Then twenty migrants arrive!. At first the only one on screen sits at the edge of the map as the drawbridge is up. Then the goblins appear, scatter and kill the idiots. Then i receive another announcement.

A forgotten beast has come!

Hooray. A Giant Enemy Crab (yes, it is a crab) has attacked, coming up through the caverns. At this pointthe goblins bugger off as i set up cage traps in the entrance to my fort.

As it gets bored, I think it will be ok to come out and get some wood, try and rebuild fort.Then:

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Hooray. This is my second year. Should I continue, even though my wood stores have run out?

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I never catch a break
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:06 am »

What are you, an elf?

Of course you'll continue! And you'll have a ton of Fun while you do so!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:03:48 pm »

Townbrush lost all of its soldier to a cheap forgotten beast that had deadly dust. Almost immediately afterward, the Darnen launched an ambush and ran through my fortress unopposed, killing dozens of Dwarves. I then had to endure a huge tantrum spiral, and by the end there were only around 20 dwarves still alive. Then I accidentally flooded the caverns. Then the Darnen launched another ambush that was more like a siege, and the goblin decided to launch a siege as well. Throughout this whole time zombies kept killing dwarves and ruining what little military I had.

But I didn't give up, and neither should you. It is far more satisfying to continue to fight on even when there is almost no hope left (unless your FPS is the one that is suffering rather than you dwarves). So yes, don't give up. Besides, a lack of wood is hardly an issue. Just get some from the caverns.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:24:36 pm »

Aye, I considered abandoning my fortress (for the second time I might add) due to me being ass up in ambushes, no caravans reaching me and having a mediocre, copper-armed rag-tag militia, no fuel for smelting and a horde of evil cave-dwellers bashing my doors.

I stood by it and defeated them all. Now have a bunch of legendary swords-dwarves that stood by the greatest challenge a fortress can face.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »

Only one siege / vile force with an FB and you complain? I got three new FBs in one season with a vile force to kick off the year and one FB & vile force for every season the rest of the year.  Best of times, the worst of times... The only thing wrong was not being and planning paranoid enough..  Constant 1.5 years sieging nearly got me due to weapons traps jamming due to too many corpses and various crap left lying around (no time to cleanup) and not designing initially for a proper flush system to wash them clean.

The Hydra should have been caged and tamed of course. There's nothing like a hydra or a dragon or two at the entrance to roast thieves.

Also if you get constantly sieged and wish for a pause, you might want to bribe the traders (to forget any past losses) and make sure they get away safely.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.