Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: October Revolution  (Read 1962 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
October Revolution
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:28:02 pm »

Well, some of you may remember that I recently started another topic with a smilar name.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65993.0

However that topic was about something different. That was about me trying to find a game. Seeing as it doesn't exist this topic is about creating a game. I have written up a (very) rough design doc for this game. Here, take a look;

October Revolution

-Made in Unity
-First Person
-Choose your background (poor farmer, factory worker, business owner etc.)
-Simple personality generator
-Complex conversation system, many choices, results depend on personality, cannot see personality
-Random NPCs
-Same city every time (St. Petersburg)
-Cannot personally travel to other cities, interaction is done with them through a menu
-Factions not set (but generally come out about with about the same political views, Red, White, Green)
-Non-linearish
-Goal is coming out in power in Russia and ending WW1 after revolt has succeeded

Early game (1914-1917)

-Gather friends
-Your friends friends also matter, however they won't do you many favours if they end up in power
-Talk about politics (impacts government later formed)
-Action mostly non-violent (protests, marches) can get violent
-Participating in marches can be beneficial, shows that you aren't a coward, but can be dangerous, if you die you're dead, no loading game
-Start to build support in the army, stockpile weapons
-You or your friends may be drafted to fight in WW1, the city may be bombarded

Middle Game (1917)

-Fight against, or side with the tzar (much harder)
-You may fight with the revolutionaries/royalist forces, however the game should punish recklessness with death (easy to die, hard to heal)
-Emphasize squad command/tactics, as well as guiding overall strategy
 (attack courthouse)
-The goal would be to, if you are the revolutionaries, burn enough government buildings, and capture enough ministers before the tzar arrives in order to force him to abdicate
-If when he arrives you haven't done enough, the army rallies and a full-scale battle happens that is hard to win
-If not he abdicates and a new government is chosen based on what has happened in both the early game and in the revolution portion of the late game
-You and your friends may or may not be in power

Late Game (1917-1922)

-End WW1 either in victory or treaty
-War will be hard to win
-A promise to end the war will probably already have been given as it is unpopular
-Treaty must be acceptable with your people or you must crush whatever uprising they cause
-If you or your friends aren't in power than you won't have much power, and revolting against the current government seems useful (the overthrow of the previsionary government)
-Alternatively if you are in power than revolution may strike you
-Foreign powers may intervene if they have any cause to (both the allies and the centrals intervened in history)
-During all this the support of the people is the most important thing

The game ends when one of these things happens;

1) The game reaches a certain date
2) You die
3) WW1 is over and the government is stable (not sure how to measure this)

You are then graded on a variety of things such as, territory, happiness, support and wealth. 

Now that this is posted I'm going to go to bed seeing as its 12:30 here and I have school tomorrow. Goodnight!

Edit: Oops. Forgot to say lots of stuff. Basically this would be made in Unity as I'm too bad at programming to consider making it in anything less User-friendly. For those who don't know Unity is a game engine that's easy to use as well as very powerful and very well done. It has a nice physics engine built in and scripts are done (mainly) in a modified version of Java Script. You can use C# but Javascript is more commonly used. Anyway I'm tired and that's why this post is crap. I'm gonna go to bed now...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:31:47 pm by Yaddy1 »

Elven_ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/chabrik/
Re: October Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:32:38 pm »

Have you already gave the Unity engine a go?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:05:59 pm »

Roguelike saving sounds way too brutal for a game of this length and variety.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:56 pm »

Have you already gave the Unity engine a go?

Yeah I've done a bit in Unity. Only made a couple of simple tests but it's a pretty good little engine. I'll probably start on it this weekend. That is if I have time. This weekend I have lots of work/homework to do. Next week I'm working far less (reduced my hours) so I'll be able to work on it more. But maybe I'll get a start...

Roguelike saving sounds way too brutal for a game of this length and variety.

Maybe you're right. This is however a very rough doc I wrote up in 10 minutes at 12:30 in the morning so...don't expect anything here to be too final. So yes that may not be in the actual game

Also I am looking for anyone else who would like to participate in this project. A 3-D modeler would be excellent. Also anyone with any programming skill at all (unity script is very simple) would be helpful. Of course I don't really anticipate anyone to join when I haven't even done anything yet...

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:57 pm »

Have never heard of Unity before. Are they really using Java SCRIPT and not just plain Java?

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:02:57 pm »

It's a heavily modified version of javascript, so much so that there's a movement within the site to change the name to unityscript. (I agree with this)