Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Global happiness modifier, or society-wide concerns  (Read 951 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Global happiness modifier, or society-wide concerns
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:49:14 am »

Siege length and frequency, completion/failure of mandates and death of nobles should change your fortress's happiness on a large scale. This improve siege stagnation, reduce the amount of unfortunate events and make trade much more useful.

Morever, instead of an instant thought to all dwarfs as these events occur, I suggest global trackers for their effects that work independent to the current system, thus still allow the possibility of a highly efficient fortress to crumble, instead of quickly brought back to normal with mundane happy thought.

An example:
Real Happiness = Min((personal happiness)*(1+(society happiness modifier)) , 200)

Society Happiness Modifier is a combination of:
 + Siege Length Effect. Sieges which last too long slowly reduce happiness. When siege a lifted, minor instantly boosts are applied then it slowly go back to 0.
 + Mandate Completion / Failure. Completion give minor happiness. Failure give major unhappiness. There's a small positive cap for Mandate Effect, and no negative cap.
 + Death of nobles: every time a noble die, it cause minor un happiness modifier, then it slowly reset back to 0. This effect is reduced if the noble has an appropriately sized tomb or better.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Global happiness modifier, or society-wide concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:59:02 am »

From your calculation there I surmise that the game would track your least happy dwarf and base much of the fortress's happiness on that one unhappy dwarf. Why would this be beneficial to enjoyment of the game?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 04:37:13 am »

No, what I think he's suggesting is that a dwarf's happiness gains a modifier based on an entirely new happiness scale, which applies to the fort as a whole. From what I gather, while individal dwarves are directly affected by micro-scale events (deaths of known dwarves, poor quaters, etc) they will also be eindiretly affected by  macro-scale events (drawn-out sieges, lost battles, resources shortages, etc).

I think this would b a good idea. Makes the fort seem like a society than a loose association of individuals.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:04:45 am »

In the current situations, there are already some mood modifiers that affect the entire fortress, such as striking adamantine. Having more of such modifiers for sieges, deaths, and so on would probably have a similar effect to what is suggested in the OP.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:24:01 am »

Still applies directly on an individual level. I think he's suggesting something a bit more subtle.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:15:22 am »

No, what I think he's suggesting is that a dwarf's happiness gains a modifier based on an entirely new happiness scale, which applies to the fort as a whole. From what I gather, while individal dwarves are directly affected by micro-scale events (deaths of known dwarves, poor quaters, etc) they will also be eindiretly affected by  macro-scale events (drawn-out sieges, lost battles, resources shortages, etc).

I think this would b a good idea. Makes the fort seem like a society than a loose association of individuals.

That's indeed what i was trying to convey. The difference with current micro event is that these modifiers are not absolute as with happy thought (-2 -1 +2 etc), but in multiplier (-10% -5% +5% etc.) That's why i elaboratedt how they should be indivdually tracked, and maybe other posters got lost in the muncho jumbo.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.