Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fill pond bug?  (Read 951 times)

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fill pond bug?
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

i dug out a cistern in my fortress and started filling it with water, i made 4 buckets for the task but on 2 are being used.
i got plenty of idle workers so why aren't all 4 buckets being used to fill the cistern, right now the water is drying up as fast as my dwarves fill.

SoloDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fill pond bug?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

The trick is to put many designations for pit/pond areas.  Right now it looks like one pit/pond area means only 1 fill job.  Make 4 pit/ponds and then you will use all 4 buckets.

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 11:23:00 pm »

alright, i'll give that a try then

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:41:00 am »

ok making several pond zones worked but i found something else odd, i seem to get alot of "cancels fill pond: needs empty bucket" messages when the dwarves dump the water into the cistern, and it's the same dwarves that had just dumped the water that cancels

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

bah nevermind, i think i figured it out, the dwarfs are just leaving the buckets at the cistern after dumping the water and it seems they will only take an empty bucket from the stockpile, guess i should make a small bucket stockpile near the cistern

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »

That's what I do and I keep about double the number of buckets I need on hand.  That way while one dwarf is retrieving a bucket for the stockpile, there's still one in the stockpile for a filling dwarf.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

A better way is to forbid buckets at all relevant stockpiles. That way, discarded buckets will still be available, and very probably used right after being dropped. There is the problem of them lying about the fort afterwards, but you could just set a dedicated pile for them later.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India