Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 118 bars of flat worm clown soap (SPOILERS)  (Read 2078 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 118 bars of flat worm clown soap (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 01:08:00 pm »

So I recently accidentally broach HFS... a second time. I had done it earlier this fort, but luckily sealed it back up before the hordes upon hordes of demons swarmed me. Eight or so years later, as I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel of my blue veins (well, actually, more like discovering the bottom of the iceberg) I accidentally breach it... AGAIN.

I obviously need to be more careful.

Anyway, this time I wasn't even paying attention when it happened, and no notification came up. Lucky for me, it seems opening up a new entrance to HFS in a new blue vein doesn't respawn a new invasion fleet, and no demons immediately swarmed in. I noticed before anyone came in, I (thought) I sealed it up, and everything is fine, right?

Well, wrong, actually. Turns out I the way I had breached HFS was with a staircase on the side of the tube, and it opened both horizontally AND vertically into HFS, and I only sealed the horizontal. A few months later I receive the notification, "Miner cancels dig: Interrupted by flat worm clown."

I nearly have a heartattack. I quickly zoom to the announcement and see that indeed, two flat worm clowns have begun chasing around a miner, who is doggedly 10 squares or so ahead of them. I quickly station my military to head them off. They head over, the flat worm clowns breath out some poisonous gas engulfing the miners and the entire squad, the squad kills the clowns, and then the miner and one entire squad of military dwarfs is paralyzed and suffocate to death.

Well, shoot, I think, that sucks.

But low and behold! Flat worm clown corpses! My prodigious butcher shop gets to work and pretty soon I find myself the proud owner of 118 globs of flat worm clown tallow. I'm currently waiting for it to be rendered, but the solution is obvious: I need to make me some flat worm clown soap.

The only question is, what to do with that? Save it for a mood? Build a monument out of soap to the fallen dwarves? Stock a hospital built in the HFS itself once I implement my budding plan of copying that guy who colonized the HFS? What should I do with my newfound globby loot?

I'm taking all suggestions. In particular models of monuments that are beautiful, dwarfy, and involve exactly 118 bars of soap would be great.

Okay, so...  Flatworms.  They're worms.  Usually intestinal parasites, IIRC.  But these are giant.  And also demons.  Who are also full of toxic gases or blood or stuff.

This raises two questions...

1.  How does a critter like that evolve?  Does this mean there used to be more, even giant-er creatures in the depths whose insides played host to these abominations before they attained demony wormy parasitic sentience and ATE THEIR WAY OUT and 2. OH GOD BURN THE HERETIC KILL THE MUTANT PURGE THE UNCLEAN.

Build an unholy tomb from the vile substance, wall your least-favorite dwarf in alive, and drop the whole thing into the magma sea.

...I can't believe dorfs consider the intestines of an unholy gut parasite to be FOOD.  D:
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »

1. Demons didn't evolve. They're demons. They probably spontaneously appear from the world's evil or something.

2. Dwarves will eat almost anything.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 02:49:48 pm »

Speaking of hidden fun stuff, is there any easy way to locate
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
on the embark map?

Yes. When you embark, go to Stocks (under z-menu), look at weapons. If you have one red adamantine weapon, you have a demonic fortress.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 08:36:57 pm »

Speaking of hidden fun stuff, is there any easy way to locate
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
on the embark map?

Yes. When you embark, go to Stocks (under z-menu), look at weapons. If you have one red adamantine weapon, you have a demonic fortress.
That isn't on the embark map is it? I know how to see if you have them once you've embarked... you can also look for rooms I believe and you'll have an upright adamantine sword.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:33 pm »

Just embark on a 16 x 16 area, and narrow its location down from there.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 09:51:31 pm »

You would think rendering the fat of a poisonous worm and cleaning wounds with it would hurt dwarves.
Pages: 1 [2]