Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Hydraulic Lift  (Read 1232 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Hydraulic Lift
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:40:27 pm »

After some arena mode testing, it seems that dwarves are never injured when falling into 2 z levels of water, at least for the maximum height of the arena. Therefore, you could set up a hydraulic lift like this: An enclosed space, preferably 2x2 to make it more likely the station command will put dwarves there, covered with floor hatches, underneath which there is a shaft, with the bottom 2 z levels filled with water, and some sort of toggleable drain set up, so that you can drop the dwarves, then drain the room before they drown. to automate, just hook up pressure plates to the floor hatches, and a timer that after a couple of turns begins to drain the room, and then pressure plates that seal the exists when water is on them, located in the bottom floor. To launch dwarves upwards, place dwarves at the bottom and fill the shaft as quickly as possible, hopefully forcing the dwarves upwards.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Hydraulic Lift
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:44:12 pm »

Dwarves need swimming experience to float. Otherwise, they just drown on the bottom level.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:47:22 pm »

I'm aware of that. Did you miss the whole triggerable drain part?

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:49:52 pm »

This looks like it might actually work.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:24 pm »

My response was the part about lifting dwarves upward. It simply can't be done.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:41:08 pm »

My response was the part about lifting dwarves upward. It simply can't be done.
Why? Dwarves gain swimming experience crazily fast, after three or four drops, they should be able to go up too.
Seriously, swimming is one of the easiest skills to train your dwarves in.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 04:50:53 pm »

Does this look familiar?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 04:55:31 pm »

oh....

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:32:52 pm »

Ah, but this is an example of how to safely DROP dorfs.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »

Dorfs swim upwards?,then how is it when a llama kicked my fisherdwarf off a pier at sea,he dropped to the bottom like a rock and didnt move until he drowned.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 08:01:36 pm »

he wasn't a good enough swimmer, or the llama knocked  him unconscious.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:21:24 pm »

Last time I trained any to swim was in 40d.

So if you have a pathway of 4/7 water they will gain skill in every tile they go through but won't normally path into it. They can't very well drown in 4/7 but they do recognize that they would be swimming if they went into it. The counter to this is either to have 3/7 with a few 4s that will just eventually move into the dwarf's intended path (sucky) or to make them resort to simple pathfinding.

Simple pathfinding is what they do when they were headed somewhere but the route became blocked, such as how they go around each other in halls. This disregards traffic zones and 4/7 deep water. So obviously have two ways to the end of your swim hall: the long, winding, single tile wide  high road and the much more available low road. So long as you have a large number of dwarves patrolling the few taking the high road will make the rest turn around and take the low road.

You might be able to chain up an animal on the high road to auto-divert them but I never tried it.

Seeing as people say they level swimming right quick now this method may be a quite roundabout way of setting up swim training for the new version but should be viable nonetheless.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.