Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pathing to bedrooms, preferred item/material value modifers, and other Qs  (Read 472 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, bedrooms are bugged.  I haven't been making them, just sticking beds in a dirt hallway and designated a dormitory to keep werewolves from munching on the miners.  But I've decided to actually try for the full compliment of nobles (extreme masochism and change of pace--haven't caught 'em all since 40d), and I don't want Urist McUseless and his five kids hogging the good bedrooms.

Things I've thought of:  Pathing.  When I last made bedrooms, everyone seemed to grab the nearest bed.  Would a combination of out-of-the-way nobles' quarters and a burrow to keep them there work?  Or will the mooks make a beeline for the nicest available bedroom, pathing cost aside?  I've only made normal peasants' quarters before.

I've also got a large, fairly friendly and soon to be all-legendary, all-masterwork steel-kitted Excavation Corps, and I'm very keen to, as another poster put it, keep them from mining themselves some brains.

Does that guy who likes kaolinite consider it more valuable than obsidian/flux?  And do decorations (metal studs, set gems) of a liked material give the item a perceived-value boost?

Thanks in advance.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathing to bedrooms, preferred item/material value modifers, and other Qs
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:55:13 am »

If you're serious enough about this, You can use Burrows for it.

Set a burrow to all of outside, all of inside, and everything. Then set a burrow for all of inside. Then set a burrow for each individual bedroom.

Haulers and woodcutters get the all inside, all outside, and their individual "room". Special dwarves like the designated Carpenter, Mason, Weaponsmith, Furnace operators, etc. Only get the inside and their "rooms". Specifying the Noble's room as a burrow only he is allowed in *should* keep others from sleeping in it, but I've honestly never tried it. I'm way too lazy to bother with all the burrows and alerts and such. It's a really nice system, but it's a bit convoluted at the moment.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]