Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just how powerful is a cave-in?  (Read 2739 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just how powerful is a cave-in?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 06:55:34 pm »

"After I saw the power of the first cave in capsule, we knew we were no longer dwarves. We were Giant Cave spiders, destroyers of Fortresses."-Urist Oppenheimer . If you get the quote, you know a little history. This is pretty much how cave-ins work.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:26 pm »

"After I saw the power of the first cave in capsule, we knew we were no longer dwarves. We were Giant Cave spiders, destroyers of Fortresses."-Urist Oppenheimer . If you get the quote, you know a little history. This is pretty much how cave-ins work.
So, which lever drops the Fat Man, and which drops the Little Boy?  ;D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 11:22:23 pm »

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Probably one of my favourite quotes, although it is also the only quote I know...

I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 11:33:04 pm »

So, which lever drops the Fat Man, and which drops the Little Boy?  ;D

As long as they're both pitchblende, I suppose it's the player's discretion.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 07:48:12 pm »

It's a pair of levers connected to thirty supports up in the air, with a steel platform on top of both. Anyone in the area will be incapacitated by "radiation poisoning" (cave-in dust), and everyone in the immediate are will die. Most will fall on weapon traps, or the falling floor will activate the cave-ins directly underground.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:09:53 pm »

If you chain an animal, can water push that animal away? Or will the animal just die, i think it will drown...

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 09:21:39 pm »

heh, i can just imagine a room with a channel all the way around the outside except for the way in and the way out on the opposite side.  When teh gobbo's hit the pressure plate near the exit (which would have it's own pit a few tiles outside the room) a support is removed and a cavein is dropped into the center of the room, blowing all the gobs into the channel around the edge.  :D
More designs for a goblin launcher.

WHY MUST YOU PEOPLE HAVE SUCH GOOD IDEAS?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 10:38:34 pm »

A somewhat unrelated question, does cave in dust go through fortifications? seems like a great way to get most trap immune bastards to get caged

I think so, but it would only affect that small handful of trap immune creatures who aren't also immune to being stunned. So, kobolds, yes, Forgotten Beasts, no.

Now, if you wanted a fancy way of launching goblins sideways into cage traps, that would probably work.

Hmm, o well, might be a cooler way then using pressurized water to send gobbos into pits
Better idea: Send gobbos into traps using pressurised MAGMA
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »

How powerful are cave-ins? I once had a miner adding some definition to the front steps of my fortress. He accidentally dropped some floor/ceiling on or near him. I get the cave in message, but the roof only dropped one level, right? I check him. Most of the bones in his body are broken. And one more thing. He's ^airborne^. I step through, and watch my near-legendary miner fly into a cliff about five tiles away and explode.

A novice miner dug him a tomb under the steps, and all the pieces were gathered up and stuffed in the coffin. I Noted on his coffin, "Front Steps of DOOM". I lost three dwarves building those elfin' steps, but none as grand as the exploding cave-in miner.
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 01:35:59 am »

heh, i see someone else uses Notes the way I plan to.  :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 04:41:43 am »

So we're clear, the last posts have been about just the dust.

Anything- clowns, FBs, megabeasts, semi-megas- that gets cave-in rock dropped on its head is squashed instantly, full stop.
Pages: 1 [2]