Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prison  (Read 1431 times)

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prison
« on: September 11, 2010, 06:37:28 am »

I am having trouble justifying having a Captain of the Guard and restraints. I just had a quarter of my population beaten then imprisoned which happens. The problem is even having 5 dwarves with nothing enabled except feed and water the prisoners they just sit there with no job while the prisoners are getting dehydrated and starving. Also every restraint has access to a well and a food stock pile.

Just had a dwarf die of thirst, 52 idlers and 3 of the 5 McNurses had no jobs. The guy was surrounded with food buckets and was right next to a well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:55:12 am by Impudence12 »
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 06:59:43 am »

Not having a prison gives your noble unhappy thoughts, which, IIRC, makes them less effective at placating your other unhappy dwarves. It can help to put them in chains, not cages, and stockpile food and alcohol near them.

Also, having a crippled dwarf do the beatings can help. Under no circumstances should said dwarf be armed.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 07:04:25 am »

I am having trouble justifying having a Captain of the Guard and restraints. I just had a quarter of my population beaten then imprisoned which happens. The problem is even having 5 dwarves with nothing enabled except feed and water the prisoners they just sit there with no job while the prisoners are getting dehydrated and starving. Also every restraint has access to a well and a food stock pile.

Just had a dwarf die of thirst, 52 idlers and 3 of the 5 McNurses had no jobs. The guy was surrounded with food buckets and was right next to a well.

Same problem here. Giving food/water to prisoners and patients seems to be of no priority anymore. Also, I second the idea that disabled and unarmed dwarves should be the ones to deal out beatings and punishments. Anything else is asking for more trouble.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:50 am »

I had him in chains which was the worst thing about it. How can I prevent Justice from using a weapon? Make a squad without a uniform?
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 07:16:58 am »

My last fort before I abandoned had in the z-Justice tab about 12 deceased prisoners. They were dragged to the dungeons where they either dehydrated or berzerked and killed each other. Lesson learned: Spread out the chains to prevent prisoners from coming within arms reach of each other. Also, I think something's wonky about prisoners drinking.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 07:19:01 am by AngleWyrm »

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:13:09 am »

Make a small booze stockpile in reach of each prisoner.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 08:30:26 am »

tried this with my last fort and it worked just fine.

Make chains out of a decently expensive metal, steel works as good as any and is plentiful if you have flux, otherwise just have the dwarves bring you a bunch of different metals and pick one of those non-weapon grade metals for it.

Dig out a 3x3 room, smooth and engrave it.

Put in a bed, chair, table, and two 1 tile stockpiles, one that only holds prepared food, and the other that only holds booze.

Should have no trouble with it then. Idiot haulers will still bring them water, but they should drink out of the barrel before they get there, meaning you get to get rid of water in buckets.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 09:32:41 am »

My only surviving prisoners were military dwarves who kept their flasks and backpacks.  All others died.

Stockpiles is probably the way to do it, although I haven't had any luck with that yet.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 09:35:23 am »

My only surviving prisoners were military dwarves who kept their flasks and backpacks.  All others died.

Stockpiles is probably the way to do it, although I haven't had any luck with that yet.

You can set the stockpile to take from another stockpile.

hover over the one to get stuff with q, then hit t, then select your big food stockpile and someone should bring it right over.

However people will also go out of their way to eat/drink there as well, which is annoying.

You still end up relying on haulers, but you can prepare before people get locked up.

Also never use cages ever. Great way to make a corpse, that's about it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 07:18:32 pm »

Not having a prison gives your noble unhappy thoughts
I personally do not give crap about nobles. Placating these parasites are more trouble than it is worth. Sometimes mandates can be fulfulled without hassle, then I do it. I also typically give them big rooms. But no justice system. And for consequences... if noble go insane, problem was just solved.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 08:00:04 pm »

My dwarves also starve while in prison. That can of course be solved by placing food stockpiles next to chains (not 100% reliable, but works fairly well), but it's much simpler not to have a Captain of the Guard in the first place. So yea, for me at least, there's no reason at all to have a working justice system.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:01:55 pm by kapusta »