Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with Health Care System  (Read 653 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with Health Care System
« on: March 08, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

I know that when it comes to jobs, taking care of the injured is very low on the list.  In the past, when I have injured dwarves, I turned off all tasks except health care, forcing at least one dwarf to save the injured.  Now, however, it is not working.  I have 4 injured, and several unoccupied, unclaimed beds.  Two of the injured dragged themselves to bed.  The other two are waiting to be dragged.  All, including those in beds, are waiting for food and water, while slowly starving to death.

And I have the health care dwarves sitting with 'no job', in the meeting area.  I have buckets, I have food, I have a water source... I tried setting them to food hauling in case they need it for food, and furniture hauling for buckets.  Still no-go.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Health Care System
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »

one thing you might check is that the injured dwarves have "rest" listed on their general page (from the v button menu). I read something recently to do with them passing out before making it to a bed or some such that doesn't appropriately tag them as "resting".

if this is the case, then try un-constructing the bed they are lying on to force them to be re-carried to a new bed, resetting their "rest" flag (hopefully)

How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

Part of the problem was nobody was carying them to a bed.  At all.  Again, despite the abundance of beds and idle people with health care.  I fixed it: I saved and quit.  When I reentered the game, suddenly everyone was all over the injured, and they were all dragged to bed simultaneously and immediataly.  Of my five injured, three were still alive (the rest died of thirst) for this.  All three survived ^.^

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:30:00 am »

Save & load fixes this?!?  I'll have to try that sometime.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

I also heard that creating one bucket will restart all the healthcare tasks as well. Someone created a thread about it awhile back, but it was for a different version so it might not work anymore.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

Healtcare system is a mess. Why am I not surprised. I suggest you to consider it as an added level of realism, not shortcoming :D When Toady one gets around implementing plague they'll catch MRSA tooQ
tail -f -n 10 df_27_176_38a/gamelog.txt

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

MRSA is not possible: in order to resist multiple drugs there must be multiple drugs.  Bubonic plague works though.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Evidently the dwarves use government provided health insurance.  They haven't been approved for bed treatment and housecare yet (this process typically takes 6-8 weeks).  Perhaps adding an health additional program will fix this?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 04:49:00 am »

I have a similar case where a wounded dwarf won't move and nobody will help him. I've tried all possibilities I could think of as well as everything suggested in this thread to no avail.
More details and savegame download: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=59

Of further note, after I decided to ignore him and continued the game, I noticed after a season or so somebody had thankfully moved him to a barracks bed. This was after he became dehydrated, hungry, and unhappy. Sadly, he died of thirst since water wasn't brought to him quickly enough after he was finally moved.
Regardless, the time of the save linked above is where he will not budge, and that state should last a good while after loading.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)