Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I have all these troglodytes  (Read 596 times)

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I have all these troglodytes
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:13:39 am »

And I don't know what to do with them.  I have a hallway full of cage traps in the first cavern in the hopes that I can get things like giant cave swallows, giant olms, and giant cave spiders.  No, all I get are troglodytes.  Lots and lots of troglodytes, which cannot bet butchered or trained.  So my animal stockpile is slowly filling up with troglodytes.  Is there anyway I could possibly use them as a defense mechanism?  Like, some goblins walk in, step on a pressure plate, and suddenly, troglodytes, thousands of them.  Not that they would in any way shape or form pose a threat to said goblins.  I have thought of setting up some traps to kill them instead of capturing them, but I don't want to kill giant cave spiders or swallows.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
Re: So I have all these troglodytes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:16:27 am »

Magma

Or use them to Kill Off those annoying Nobles

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:17:07 am »

Build the cages into the trap hall and attach them to a lever or pressure plate. When the pressure plate is triggered, all of the cages open and the trogos are let loose. The cages are are also deconstructed.
"Extinction is not an option."

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:21:58 am »

Maybe I could use them to train military dwarves?  Just for the heck of it?  It's not like letting them fight one trog at a time is going to hurt them, considering how weak they are

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:31:37 am »

Currently sometimes I find it hard to make marksdwarves using training targets, so I often dump captured enemies in a pit and station marksdwarves around it. They level up fast this way.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:15:22 am »

I drop my captured stuff in a big hole (50+ Z-levels deep) and watch the lowest level get covered in blood.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:04:07 am »

Make a retracting bridge over your entrance, dump troglodytes onto it, link it to the pressure plate in the entrance. No loss.