Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help with military  (Read 998 times)

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help with military
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:39 am »

hello there, everyone. thought i'd post and ask for a bit of help, while i'm being plundered by racoons and digging out a massive tomb-level. for some reason, i can't get my dwarves to arm themselves. i specify a uniform and apply it to a squad, but they never arm themselves. perhaps someone could explain when they are supposed to or how i make them? (of note: when i go to equip -> specific item, none of my armor shows up, except for some stupid clothes. i've smithed about 15 suits of armor now) anyone know what gives?

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: help with military
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:26:56 am »

hello there, everyone. thought i'd post and ask for a bit of help, while i'm being plundered by racoons and digging out a massive tomb-level. for some reason, i can't get my dwarves to arm themselves. i specify a uniform and apply it to a squad, but they never arm themselves. perhaps someone could explain when they are supposed to or how i make them? (of note: when i go to equip -> specific item, none of my armor shows up, except for some stupid clothes. i've smithed about 15 suits of armor now) anyone know what gives?

Try setting them to active. Also you might want to set the uniform to replace civilian clothes, due to a bug that causes the damage to only look at one layer.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:41:59 am »

Don't forget to set up barracks! In case you don't know how to do it, build a bed/armor stand/weapon rack and make it a barracks. Then, for each squad (cycle with +/-) press "t","i","q". They should equip themselves.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:46:26 am »

yeah, i have the entrance to my fort dug into a little patch of mountain, off that is a barracks w/ armor rack, and off that is the equipment room with heaping piles of sharp pointy things to skewer goblins with. do these weapons have to be inside the limits of the barracks or something? (i did use replace, and tried activating them, and still nada. they just lounge around in the barracks sleeping or "individual combat drilling" heh.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:15:54 am »

The barracks need to be flooded at least 2/7 with magma to function properly: you will see, no more glitch behavior from your dorfs...

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:41:04 pm »

I thought it was 4/7 water? So they would learn to swim, or something?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

StarMagnus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:51:36 pm »

I thought it was 4/7 water? So they would learn to swim, or something?

You were both close; first it's one then the other.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 09:03:36 pm »

Don't forget the menacing spikes training spears!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"