Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: sort-of-newbie: pump stacks  (Read 1781 times)

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: sort-of-newbie: pump stacks
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »

As far as I know, floodgates(and doors) only need to be fireproof, as long as they don't open(letting magma into their tile), they won't melt.

Really, there's such a wide variety of magmaproof stone about these days, why not bother getting the whole damn package and have yourself a controllable magma sleuce?

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 11:12:59 pm »

Remember how useless orthoclase used to be? Guess what? It's magma safe now. Which means you have a common magma safe stone on pretty much every site now.

Hey, orthoclase is excellent if you want your walls to be garishly colored.

So anyway, the question I had was: is glass magma safe?  Because that's the easiest way I've found to produce large amounts of pump components...

And floodgates need to be magmaproof if ever intend them to open, and if you don't... why aren't you just building a wall?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 11:41:53 pm »

It'll be a happy day when a new machine component that raises liquids more than 1 z-level (I'm thinking giant bucket-on-chain loop system!) exist.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:51 am »

So anyway, the question I had was: is glass magma safe?  Because that's the easiest way I've found to produce large amounts of pump components...

Glass is...weird.  It seems to melt for *some* items and not for others.  Pretty certain I've had a glass block melt on a pump, and a glass pipe hold fine.  But again, this is something that more dwarven SCIENCE is needed for.

..Yarp, looks like I'ma pretty much gonna set up a brand new fort (probably on .12 since it'd be more stable) and commit to some experiments.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 02:11:28 am »

It'll be a happy day when a new machine component that raises liquids more than 1 z-level (I'm thinking giant bucket-on-chain loop system!) exist.

There is one, it's called a pump stack.

A single constructed entity that spans multiple z-levels is A. Too easy, B. Un-dorflike, and C. probably beyond the current DF code limitations (all multiple Z-level things have to be built 1 at a time afaik)

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 04:21:16 am »

*grumble, grumble* Of course I had to end up choosing a map with the magma sea 130 z-levels beneath the surface...  *grumble grumble grumble*

*Koruth cancels Update Forum About Experiment: Too Insane*

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 04:23:10 am »

*grumble, grumble* Of course I had to end up choosing a map with the magma sea 130 z-levels beneath the surface...  *grumble grumble grumble*

*Koruth cancels Update Forum About Experiment: Too Insane*

Oh quityerbitchin, I have a post in the facepalm thread about the time I built a 100+ z-level pump stack for magma only to use a wood block by accident in one of the pumps.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 09:36:26 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:28:23 pm by Bronimin »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 12:13:34 pm »

Glass is...weird.  It seems to melt for *some* items and not for others.  Pretty certain I've had a glass block melt on a pump, and a glass pipe hold fine.  But again, this is something that more dwarven SCIENCE is needed for.

..Yarp, looks like I'ma pretty much gonna set up a brand new fort (probably on .12 since it'd be more stable) and commit to some experiments.

You can repeat my work if you want, but my experimentation has shown that green glass items are all 100% magma proof, wether assembled into machines/furniture and then submerged, or simply dumped into the magma as the base materials.  In my experimentation I set up a room in which I built a green glass pump along with chairs tables cabinets statues supports and pretty much everything else you can make out of green glass.  for the furniture and pump i also had my dwarves drop an additional peice onto a stockpile so that I had the 'loose' components as well as the constructed results.  After getting everything set up I pumped the room full of magma (with a green glass pump) and let it sit full for a few years of in-game time and nothing at all melted.  Then I got to wondering if flow had anything to do with it, so I constructed another green glass pump which circulated the magma through the room and left it going for a few years, and again nothing melted.  After completing this experiment I decided that anything made from green glass is 100% magma safe and try to use it exclusively in all my situations where stuff is going to be getting covered in the burney gooey stuff, with the result of 0 accidents due to something melting.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 01:44:07 pm »

Actually you don't need anything like that you get a boatload of magma up high. All you need is one pump and one support. The support holds a column of stone up and the pump pumps magma into a reservoir below the column. Set up some bridges along the edges of the column to catch spill over and then drop it. The lovely red 7s shoot right to the top of your column for you to play with.

If you want to get more magma than you can get in one or even a couple of drops just mine out the bottom layer after attaching another support, cast some obsidian above it (just use 1/7 or 2/7 of the red stuff) and drop the thing into a freshly refilled reservoir.

*you pump out of the molten sea in the first place because semi-molten rock would just swallow your column. The fluids have got to be "crushed" to shoot up to the top of stones.

-

My experiments in 40d showed that wood constructions had a highly variable duration in active magma pumps. I wasn't thorough enough to say if this was map specific for certain but it definitely seemed to be that way. Green glass technically had a low enough melting point that it shouldn't have been magma safe but for some reason things built with it suffered no temperature damage. I don't think anyone bothered to mod in stones with the same properties as glass and check how they behaved.

Anyway that should help to explain a lot of the myth and legend about what's magma safe. Evidently this stuff is somewhat different in contemporary versions but enough people have already described that and I haven't bothered re-testing myself so you'll have to take their word.

Or don't take their word and test every risky thing in small scale before you go running a massive version of it.

*For pump stacks I just dig c shapes and flip them over each floor. People only include access in the design for water pumps and that is in case you have a tree grow on the tile. The access to the front is all that is needed to actually build the pump and then the two tile hallway can be an up and down stair set. Well, one or two up/down stairs too but I heavily avoid using those because I am crazy enough to still not use them despite the old issues being long gone.

If you're going to build many levels definitely learn to love the macro hotkeys~
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 01:57:58 pm »

According the wiki, Nether-cap wood is stuck at freezing and doesn't heat up. While it would be needlessly tedious dwarfy to build a permanent wooden pump stack just out of nether-cap, has anyone thought to try it?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 02:38:17 pm »

The caverns don't usually produce trees at quite the density you'd need to make this a practical option of the speedy kind but it seems like it would work.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]